mistake in gene's name

Marjan Askarian-Arimi

Apr 28, 2016, 10:10:25 AM4/28/16
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi Dear
We are working on a gene called ZFAS1 in human and mouse (Askarian-Amiri, M., Crawford, J., French, JD., Smith, MA., Smart, CE.,  Ru, K.,  Mercer, TR., Thompson, ER.,  Lakhani, SR., Vargas, AC., Campbell, IG., Brown, MA., Dinger, ME., Mattick, JS., SNORD-host RNA Znfx1-as is a regulator of mammary development and a potential marker for breast cancer. RNA 2011, 17, 878-891).

I found the gene's name in mouse genome is Zfos1 instead of Zfas1. Can you please correct the gene's name as it is confusing for people who are working on it.

Regards

Dr. Marjan Askarian-Amiri
Senior Research Fellow
Auckland Cancer Society Research Centre
University of Auckland
85 Park Rd, Grafton, Auckland, 1023
Tel: 9236803, ext: 86803

Matthew Speir

Apr 28, 2016, 1:27:43 PM4/28/16
to Marjan Askarian-Arimi, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi Marjan,

Thank you for your question about gene names in the UCSC Genome Browser.

We import much of our data from other sources. If these external sources still label the gene as "Zfos1", then that's what will be displayed in our Genome Browser. For example, the RefSeq page, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/NM_001081005?report=GenBank, still includes "Zfos1" in its title "Mus musculus zinc finger, NFX1-type containing 1, opposite strand RNA 1 (Zfos1), mRNA". It appears that this is also the case for GENCODE/Ensembl: http://www.ensembl.org/Mus_musculus/Gene/Summary?db=core;g=ENSMUSG00000074578;r=2:167062934-167065862.

I would recommend contacting the groups generating these annotations and recommend that they change this in their databases. Once that happens, these changes will make their way into our databases as we import them.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions, please reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu. All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly-accessible Google Groups forum. If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

Matthew Speir
UCSC Genome Bioinformatics Group