Problem in running blatsrc35 on suse linux

qanita khalid

Dec 7, 2017, 11:10:12 AM12/7/17
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi,
I was trying to install blat on machine with suse linux. I did the following steps in blat installation.

1. First, I download the latest version of blat from ucsc genome browser.
2. Uncompressed the blat folder in root folder of system.
3. Create blatsrc directory and moved in.
4. Obtained machine type by typing 'echo $Machtype'. That's return machine btype which is x86_64 -suse-linux.
5. Now , i temprory export the machine type, not creating bash file.
6. Not creating the directory 'lib/$MACHTYPE', because that was already exists.
7. I want to create directory in 'bin', where all executables go, but that was not created by system easily. After i create it, but that was not visible in bin folder.
8.. Now when command 'make' run on system then i got following errors..

make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/local/blat/blatSrc/jkOwnLib'
make[1]: '../lib/x86_64-suse-linux/jkOwnLib.a' is up to date.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/blat/blatSrc/jkOwnLib'
cd blat && make
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/local/blat/blatSrc/blat'
gcc -O -g  -o /home/eglab/bin/x86_64-suse-linux/blat blat.o ../lib/x86_64-suse-linux/jkOwnLib.a ../lib/x86_64-suse-linux/jkweb.a   -pthread -lm
/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.8/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: cannot open output file /home/eglab/bin/x86_64-suse-linux/blat: No such file or directory
makefile:10: recipe for target 'blat' failed
make[1]: *** [blat] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/blat/blatSrc/blat'
makefile:2: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
eglab@linux-5pj5:/usr/local/blat/blatSrc>

Kindly help me with installation..

Best Regards
Qanta Khalid

Cath Tyner

Dec 12, 2017, 6:36:20 PM12/12/17
to qanita khalid, UCSC Genome Browser Public Help Forum
Hello Qanta,

If you are trying to do this build as the 'root' user, that could be causing some problems - we don't advise doing this, and it isn't necessary. Other troubleshooting steps to review can be found in our mailing list archive:

*Previously answered mailing list questions* that may be helpful:

(solution: changed MACHTYPE with dashes in it, removed dashes)

Please note that BLAT source and executables are freely available for academic, nonprofit and personal use. Commercial licensing information is available on the "Kent Informatics website":http://www.kentinformatics.com/.

BLAT source
Current version:
blatSrc36.zip 05-Nov-2014 19:24 3.1M

Build instructions

BLAT executables

BLAT Suite Program Specifications and User Guide

As you move forward, please feel free to respond to this forum at any time for further assistance. If you can reply with the source you are using, and which instructions you are following, we may be able to provide further assistance.

Also, if you do find the solution, it is always very helpful to reply to this forum with details that may help other users!

Thank you for contacting the UCSC Genome Browser support team.
Please send new and follow-up questions to one of our mailing lists below:

  * Post to the Public Help Forum: E
mail
gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
​ or search the Public Archives
​  * Post to the Mirror Help Forum: Email

genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
or search the Mirror Archives​
​  * Confidential/private help: Email

genom...@soe.ucsc.edu

Join us on Social Media! FacebookTwitter, Wordpress BlogYouTube
UCSC Genome Browser Announcements List (for new data & software)
Request on-site training & workshops at your institution

​Enjoy,​
Cath
. . .
Cath Tyner
UCSC Genome Browser, Software QA & User Support
UC Santa Cruz Genomics Institute

--

---