browsing different genome regions in several tabs

5 zobrazení
Preskočiť na prvú neprečítanú správu

Mayer, Jens

neprečítané,
14. 6. 2017, 11:05:0914. 6. 2017
komu: gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello,

I encounter the following problem when browsing different genome regions (human, mouse, others) in several tabs (Safari v10.1.1 and Firefox v53/54, Mac OS 10.12).

When I switch between tabs displaying different genome regions and, for instance, zoom in or zoom out the depicted genome region in the current tab the browser will jump to the different genome region depicted in another, previous tab. I therefore cannot browse different genome regions in different tabs independently as I am redirected to a genome position in another tab.

Do I recollect correctly that this browser behaviour has been different before, that is, one could browse different genome regions in different tabs independently? The problem presumably involves how cookies are set on either side. Is there a way to fix this behaviour?

Thanks a lot for your kind response.

Regards
Jens Mayer

Christopher Lee

neprečítané,
14. 6. 2017, 14:53:1814. 6. 2017
komu: Mayer, Jens, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi Jens,

Thank you for your question about browsing two different regions in
two different tabs. It seems like you maybe opened a link in the new
tab with the url of the previous tab, changed positions, and then
wished to use the two tabs independently? What happened is the hgsid
parameter of the url is shared between both tabs, therefore when you
change positions in one tab, the changed position is associated with
the hgsid for that tab, and when you switch to your other tab (which
also shares the same hgsid), the Genome Browser updates based on the
position of the old tab.

You can resolve this behavior by navigating to the Genome Browser home
page in the new tab (http://genome.ucsc.edu,
http://genome-euro.ucsc.edu or http://genome-asia.ucsc.edu depending
on where you are and which one you are using), which will give the new
tab a new hgsid and will make each tab independent.

For more information on hgsid's and sharing browser views, please see
this previously answered mailing list question where users had
problems sharing BLAT results:
https://groups.google.com/a/soe.ucsc.edu/d/msg/genome/ywQRrJ3CA10/UL5PTwtNAAAJ

as well as this blog post discussing hgsid's and sharing browser views:
http://genome.ucsc.edu/blog/how-to-share-your-ucsc-screenthoughts/

Please let us know if you have any further questions!

Thank you again for your inquiry and using the UCSC Genome Browser. If
you have any further questions, please reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu.
All messages sent to that address are archived on a
publicly-accessible forum. If your question includes sensitive data,
you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

Christopher Lee
UCSC Genomics Institute
> --
>
> ---

Mayer, Jens

neprečítané,
22. 6. 2017, 11:38:1522. 6. 2017
komu: gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Dear Christopher,

I thought the problem has been solved but I need to get back to you again concerning browser behaviour when browsing different genome positions in different tabs. The two mentioned links to mailings list topics and the behavior of hgsid’s do not solve the below described problem, if I understand it correctly.

I BLAT a sequence that has multiple matches in the human genome sequence (a multi-copy sequence, typical for many of my analysis).
I get a considerably longer BLAT results list.
I cmd-left-click ACTION-browser links to open each match in a different tab.
I now need to browse/inspect each position independently from the other.
When I zoom in and out, the individual tabs do not maintain their original genome positions but jump to the last one used in the other tab.
This is pretty much what I had observed before and it is very different from how the genome browser used to behave.
Browsing different genome positions for multiple matches is thus rather impossible.

As I understand, going back to the GB home page in order to assign a different hgsid to each tab will not work here.
(I opened multiple tabs with the GB home page and then copy-pasted links of a hit from the BLAT results list in a tab each, yet the last opened genome position overrides the genome position of a former tab).

I wonder how many users have similar problems. I am probably not the only one usually generating multiple hits in BLAT searches that need to be investigated independently.

Thanks again for your kind answer!

Regards
Jens
________________________________
Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Jens Mayer
Department of Human Genetics
Building 60
Center of Human & Molecular Biology
Medical Faculty
University of Saarland
66421 Homburg
Germany

phone-office: (49) (0)6841-1626627
phone-lab: (49) (0)6841-1626189
fax: (49) (0)6841-1626186
e-mail: jens....@uks.eu

Jairo Navarro Gonzalez

neprečítané,
27. 6. 2017, 11:06:1627. 6. 2017
komu: Mayer, Jens, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hello Jens,

Thank you for using the UCSC Genome Browser and reporting your issues.

The problem you described appears to be an issue with the way we manage independent sessions, and our engineers are currently working on resolving this issue. We have a couple of ideas about how to fix this, but can't provide an estimate for when it will be fixed. In the meantime, there is a workaround.

This issue occurs since every browser link from the BLAT results page contains the same hgsid. After opening a link in a new tab or window, you can remove the &hgsid= variable from the end of the URL. Reloading this URL without the hgsid will cause the Genome Browser to generate a new hgsid which will create an independent tab or window.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions, please reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu.
All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly-accessible Google Groups forum.

If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

Jairo Navarro
UCSC Genomics Institute

Odpovedať všetkým