cross species multiple protein alignment

Kate Elliott

Oct 4, 2016, 12:00:14 PM10/4/16
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi,

I’ve been trawling your site (and other genome browsers) looking for pre-computed cross species protein alignments.  I’m looking for the pileup of residues seen in a page such as this one:

https://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTracks?db=hg19&lastVirtModeType=default&lastVirtModeExtraState=&virtModeType=default&virtMode=0&nonVirtPosition=&position=chr6%3A56505169-56505251&hgsid=531385309_tntw4eKb2h2U8SubTaMW9ie0eEtg

However, I can’t find the source of the alignment in any of your downloads, but assume you must have it precomputed somewhere…  Clicking on the alignment takes me to the nucleotide sequence which isn’t what I’m after.  Do you know where I could obtain such an alignment?  I want to use it to assess the level of conversation of an amino acid across as many species as possible as a way of prioritising nonsynonymous variants.

Any help gratefully received!

Kate

___________________________________

Dr Katherine Elliott

Senior Postdoctoral Bioinformatician

J Knight Group

Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics

University of Oxford

cid:A499FF28-496D-479F-A284-EE27BBE5E9F3@eduroam.oxuni.org.uk

Luvina Guruvadoo

Oct 4, 2016, 4:58:15 PM10/4/16
to Kate Elliott, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello Kate,

Thank you for your question. You can find precomputed protein alignments for the human hg19 assembly here:
http://hgdownload.soe.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/hg19/multiz100way/alignments/

If you have any further questions, please reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu. All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly-accessible forum. If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

Regards,
Luvina

--
Luvina Guruvadoo
UCSC Genome Browser

http://genome.ucsc.edu

Kate Elliott

Oct 6, 2016, 12:30:01 PM10/6/16
to Luvina Guruvadoo, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi,

In the process of parsing the knownCanonical.exonAA.fa.gz file, I’ve come across a couple of inconsistencies which have messed up my parser and don’t look like they are correct within the file.

The first 2 intervals I hit with this problem are:

>uc021ott.2_hg19_112_123 27 0 1 chr1:146446834-146446834+

LTDPCQPYRSAFYVLEQQRVGLAVDMD

(if it’s only 1 base wide, this interval shouldn’t be able to harbour this peptide)

and

>uc021ott.2_hg19_113_123 18 1 2 chr1:146446925-146447006+

EIEKYQEVEEDQDPSCPR

(again the size of the interval doesn’t fit the expected sized ORF of the peptide)

A look on the browser shows that for the first interval, there is a single base coding exon.

For the second interval, a look at the browser shows it containing the peptide for the first interval.

Something doesn’t seem right – is it me or is there an error??!!

Many thanks

Kate

Cath Tyner

Oct 7, 2016, 5:28:21 PM10/7/16
to Kate Elliott, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello Kate,

Thank you for providing these details; there was indeed a bug related to single base exons. This has been fixed, and downloads will be replaced soon - likely by next week. I will reply again when the downloads are available.

Please respond to this list if you have further questions!

Thank you again for your inquiry and for using the UCSC Genome Browser.
​Please send new and follow-up questions to one of our UCSC Genome Browser mailing lists below:

  * Post to the Public Help Forum: E
mail
gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
​ or search the Public Archives
​  * Post to the Mirror Help Forum: Email

genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
or search the Mirror Archives​
​  * Confidential/private help: Email

genom...@soe.ucsc.edu

UCSC Genome Browser Announcements List (email alerts for new data & software):
  * Subscribe: Email genome-announce+subscribe@soe.ucsc.edu

Join us on Social Media! FacebookTwitter, Wordpress BlogYouTube

​Enjoy,​
Cath
. . .
Cath Tyner
UCSC Genome Browser, Software QA & User Support
UC Santa Cruz Genomics Institute

--

---

Cath Tyner

Oct 12, 2016, 2:57:40 PM10/12/16
to Kate Elliott, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello again Kate,

Below are corrections for the two examples that you provided:

Example 1:
NEW: uc021ott.2_hg19_112_123 27 0 1 chr1:146446925-146447006 +
LTDPCQPYRSAFYVLEQQRVGLAVDMD

OLD: uc021ott.2_hg19_112_123 27 0 1 chr1:146446834-146446834 +
LTDPCQPYRSAFYVLEQQRVGLAVDMD

Example 2:
NEW: uc021ott.2_hg19_113_123 18 1 2 chr1:146447726-146447777 +
EIEKYQEVEEDQDPSCPR

OLD: uc021ott.2_hg19_113_123 18 1 2 chr1:146446925-146447006 +
EIEKYQEVEEDQDPSCPR

Please respond to this list if you have further questions, and thank you again for bringing this to our attention.

  * Subscribe: Email genome-announce+subs...@soe.ucsc.edu