Question : Gene synonyms which do not correspond to the same genomic location

R. Avellino

Dec 13, 2016, 10:54:36 AM12/13/16
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu, I.P. Touw, P.A. Olofsen

To whom it may concern,

As stated by NCBI, the gene ZSCAN1 has other synonyms including MZF-1 and ZNF915. However, ZSCAN1 and MZF-1 are located on different genomic locations.

Kindly, I would like to ask you for help and whether there is any explanation for this, if any.

I will thank you in advance.

With kind regards,

Roberto Avellino

PhD Candidate

Hematology

Erasmus MC

P.O. Box 21455, 3001 AL Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Visiting address: Wytemaweg 80, 3015 CN Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Email r.ave...@erasmusmc.nl | Telephone +31 10 704 38 36

www.erasmusmc.nl

Cath Tyner

Dec 19, 2016, 1:19:13 PM12/19/16
to R. Avellino, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu, I.P. Touw, P.A. Olofsen
Hello Roberto,

Thank for using the UCSC Genome Browser and for submitting your question regarding ZSCAN1 and MZF-1 being located on different genomic locations, even though they are synonyms.

In my answer below, I have assumed that your organism of interest is human, but please respond if this is not the case. In short, I found that these records have been withdrawn
​. ​
I have outlined my steps below:

I first went to the NCBI site and searched for MZF-1. You can click on "Status" and filter for only "Discontinued" and "Replaced." Here I can see that MZF-1 is in my filtered list.

LOC94628
ID: 94628
similar to ZINC FINGER PROTEIN 42 (MYELOID ZINC FINGER 1) (MZF-1) (H. sapiens) [Homo sapiens (human)]
 *This record has been withdrawn (May 2005) by NCBI because the model on which it was based was not predicted in a later annotation.*

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/94628

I then looked in the UCSC Genome Browser. Searching for MZF-1, I get this mRNA search result:

M58297 - Human zinc finger protein 42 (MZF-1) mRNA, complete cds.
chr19:58,561,931-58,564,613

Clicking into the details page, this mRNA is transcribed from gene ZNF42, which was also discontinued May 2005:

Please respond to this list if you have further questions!

Thank you again for your inquiry and for using the UCSC Genome Browser.
​Please send new and follow-up questions to one of our UCSC Genome Browser mailing lists below:

  * Post to the Public Help Forum: E
mail
gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
​ or search the Public Archives
​  * Post to the Mirror Help Forum: Email

genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
or search the Mirror Archives​
​  * Confidential/private help: Email

genom...@soe.ucsc.edu

UCSC Genome Browser Announcements List (email alerts for new data & software):
  * Subscribe: Email genome-announce+subscribe@soe.ucsc.edu

Join us on Social Media! FacebookTwitter, Wordpress BlogYouTube

​Enjoy,
Cath
. . .
Cath Tyner
UCSC Genome Browser, Software QA & User Support
UC Santa Cruz Genomics Institute

--

---