ridiculously easy question I can never remember

Holly H. Hobart

Jun 9, 2017, 3:55:07 PM6/9/17
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

I have never burned into my brain the exact meaning of the ‘arrows’ shown on the lines indicating the length of DNA strands in the browser display.  They indicate directionality, but is it 5’ -> 3’ or 3’ -> 5’?  My gut feeling is that it is 5’ -> 3’, the direction of synthesis in transcription.

So if I look at the display for the gene KMT2A, the arrows indicate motion from left to right, so the ‘right ‘side of the gen on the screen is the 3’ end of the gene. no?

I know I should have a firmer grip on this concept, I just don’t.

thanks for answering what should be a trivial question,

HHH

Holly H Hobart, PhD, Dipl. ABMGG

Clinical Cytogenetics Lab, UMMC

(601) 984-1903

Individuals who have received this information in error or are not authorized to receive it must promptly return or dispose of the information and notify the sender. Those individuals are hereby notified that they are strictly prohibited from reviewing, forwarding, printing, copying, distributing or using this information in any way.

Robert Kuhn

Jun 9, 2017, 4:14:39 PM6/9/17
to Holly H. Hobart, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello, H3,

Your intuition is correct:  The arrows indicate the direction of transcription
and translation.

regards,

 --b0b kuhn

   ucsc genome bioinformatics group

--

---

Bert Gold

Jun 9, 2017, 4:19:06 PM6/9/17
to Holly H. Hobart, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Yes, KMT2A is left to right, 5' to 3' although my eyes are getting really bad at seeing the arrows.

Bert

Bert Gold, MB(ASCP)CM, Ph.D., FACMGG, CGMBS
Senior Clinical Molecular Geneticist
Natera, Inc.
201 Industrial Rd
San Carlos, California