Uploading tracks into UCSC

Rinkwitz Silke Dr.

May 24, 2016, 12:16:30 PM5/24/16
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello UCSC Genome Browser Team,

I need to use custom tracks and have questions.
To my knowledge I have the option to store bed, bed graph and wiggle format
files in Dropbox and create links that can be copied into the UCSC browser
window. Alternatively I can upload files from my own computer hard drive
that are less than 500 Mb.
I have files that are larger than 500 Mb and I cannot use Dropbox. Would
there be the option to use Amazon Web Services, a kind of cloud storage and
use, to create links? Or would there be a different way?

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Silke

Silke Rinkwitz
Dept. of Cellular & Molecular Biology
Zool. Institute
Technical University Braunschweig
38106 Braunschweig
Germany

I understand I can store bed, bed graph and wiggle format files in drop box
to create links that can be copied into the UCSC browser window. Such links
I could not create using a different external storage place.

Luvina Guruvadoo

May 25, 2016, 6:03:30 PM5/25/16
to Rinkwitz Silke Dr., gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello Silke,

Thank you for your question. We have a couple of recommendations for you. First, you may want to convert those BED and Wiggle files into bigBed and bigWig files. You can read more about those file formats here:
https://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenpath/help/bigBed.html
https://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenpath/help/bigWig.html

A few of our users have successfully loaded data using Amazon Web Services, however there is a charge to use their service. We suggest contacting your IT department at the university to see if they can provide you with free web space to host your data.

If you have any further questions, please reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu. All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly-accessible forum. If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

Regards,
Luvina

--
Luvina Guruvadoo