about visualising MAFs on another browser.

1 view

Tunc Morova

Nov 30, 2016, 10:12:22 AM11/30/16
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi,

I am confused about the size of the MAFs. When I checked their sizes,
i realised that they are huge. My question is, does genome browser
visualise it by changings its format in a smaller storage? Forgive my
ignorance but can I transform it to a general format such as bed or
bigwig ?

Best regards,

Tunc.

Matthew Speir

Dec 5, 2016, 12:49:12 PM12/5/16
to Tunc Morova, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi Tunc,

Thank you for your question about MAF files in the UCSC Genome Browser.

It's difficult to answer your question without more information as to
what you're looking to get out of the data. Are you wanting the
alignment info, which is what is contained in the MAF itself? Or are you
looking for those "conserved" regions? Or maybe "conservation" scores
for regions or specific bases? The type of format that you want will
depend on what type of information you want to display.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions, please reply
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu. All messages sent to that address are archived
on a publicly-accessible Google Groups forum. If your question includes
sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

Matthew Speir
UCSC Genome Bioinformatics Group