Inquiry on usage of gbib on a virtual machine

#CHEN GUOHAO#

Apr 20, 2015, 12:19:33 PM4/20/15
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi there

So I have a virtual machine and I actually wanted to host GBiB on it.

However, the following errors were displayed.

May I know what's the issue and how can I resolve it?

Regards,

Julius

Steve Heitner

Apr 20, 2015, 4:22:30 PM4/20/15
to #CHEN GUOHAO#, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hello, Julius.

Your second screenshot regarding hardware acceleration is specifically addressed in the Troubleshooting section of the GBiB User Guide at https://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/gbib.html#Trouble.

For your first screenshot, you may consider consulting the VirtualBox user forums.  You may find the posts at https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38637 and https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40685 useful.  If not, you might want to search the forum for existing posts or even create a new post yourself.

Please contact us again at gen...@soe.ucsc.edu if you have any further questions.
All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly-accessible Google Groups forum.  If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

---
Steve Heitner
UCSC Genome Bioinformatics Group

--

image001.png
image002.png

#CHEN GUOHAO#

Apr 21, 2015, 12:38:18 PM4/21/15
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu, st...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply.

WIth reference to the documentation below,

#Sharing Genome Browser with Colleagues
  1. Shut down the GBiB machine (Stopping GBiB).
  2. Select the browserbox machine in the VirtualBox left-hand menubar.
  3. Select Machine >> Settings in the VirtualBox menu to display the Settings window.
  4. Go to Network >> Adapter 1 >> Advanced >> Port Forwarding.
  5. Remove the address "127.0.0.1" from "Rule 1" by deleting it with the backspace key.
  6. Click "OK".
I have done the above but I am having trouble enabling port forwarding to VirtualBox. How can I do it? Must I allow incoming connections to port 1234?

Regards,
Julius​

Apr 21, 2015, 7:18:53 PM4/21/15
to #CHEN GUOHAO#, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu, st...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hello Julius,

Yes, you will need to accept incoming connections on port 1234 for VirtualBox to forward them to GBiB. Depending on your network setup, this may simply be a matter of configuring the firewall on your machine or you may require help from your network administrators.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions, please reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu or genome...@soe.ucsc.edu. Questions sent to those addresses will be archived in publicly-accessible forums for the benefit of other users. If your question contains sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

--
Jonathan Casper
UCSC Genome Bioinformatics Group