How to pass coordinates to a public session?

Bert Gold

Jul 17, 2017, 10:38:41 AM7/17/17
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu, genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi!

I am using GBiB and enjoying it.

Now I have created a session at a particular location in hg19 and
want to permit others to load new coordinates into that session (using
the same settings).  I realize I can save the settings as a flat file and
have done so.

There are three lines of coordinates in the settings file:
viz-

.....line 26 of settings file....
knownGene.label.gene 1
lastPosition chr7:117199330-117199900
lastVirtModeExtraState
lastVirtModeType default
oldPosition chr7:117199330-117199900
org Human
position chr7:117199330-117199900
...line 34 of settings file...

So, my question for you is, using either the URL method or the attachment
method, what do I have to pass to the browser session (and how do I do it),
to open it at say, chr9:34,649,292-34,649,692 instead of the chromosome 7 coordinates given above.  I want same settings, different coordinates.

Thank you for any insight.

Bert Gold

knownGene.label.gene 1
lastPosition chr7:117199330-117199900
lastVirtModeExtraState
...a coupla lines later...

Bert Gold, MB(ASCP)CM, Ph.D., FACMGG, CGMBS
Senior Clinical Molecular Geneticist
Natera, Inc.
201 Industrial Rd
San Carlos, California

Matthew Speir

Jul 18, 2017, 5:35:11 PM7/18/17
to Bert Gold, genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi Bert,

Thank you for your question about using sessions in the UCSC Genome Browser.

There should be no need to modify the session file. All you need to do is add the "position=<chr_position>" parameter to your URLs. For example, here is a session that opens up a region on chr9 in the human assembly hg38:

http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTracks?hgS_doOtherUser=submit&hgS_otherUserName=mspeir&hgS_otherUserSessionName=hg38_NAR_2016_Fig1.

If we add this "position" parameter to the URL like so:

http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTracks?hgS_doOtherUser=submit&hgS_otherUserName=mspeir&hgS_otherUserSessionName=hg38_NAR_2016_Fig1&position=chrX:154762756-154777689

You will see that it now loads a position on chrX.

However, if you do want to continue with your plan to change the session settings file, you would just need to change the "position" line. So, for your example, if you wanted the session to load to the position on chrX I linked above, this line would become:

position chrX:154762756-154777689

I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions, please reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu. All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly-accessible Google Groups forum. If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

Matthew Speir
UCSC Genome Bioinformatics Group
--

---