trouble restarting GBiB after a shutdown

Bert Gold

May 30, 2017, 10:43:36 AM5/30/17
to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi!

I am getting the message below.

I the suggestion below the picture, but it didn't do the trick (I got the same error).  Please advise.

VirtualBox Error: "Failed to open virtual machine located in... Trying to open a VM config ... which has the same UUID as an existing virtual machine."

Solution: This error occurs if GBiB has been previously downloaded and installed. To resolve this problem:

  1. Start VirtualBox.
  2. Select the currently installed version of browserbox from the left-hand column.
  3. Select Machine >> Remove (Ctrl+R or ⌘+R) in the VirtualBox menu. When asked, choose "Remove only" to retain the old browserbox version on your disk.
  4. Double-click the newly downloaded browserbox.vbox file or add it with the Machine >> Add menu option.

Bert Gold, MB(ASCP)CM, Ph.D., FACMGG, CGMBS
Senior Clinical Molecular Geneticist
Natera, Inc.
201 Industrial Rd
San Carlos, California

Christopher Lee

Jun 1, 2017, 5:10:23 PM6/1/17
to Bert Gold, genome-mirror
Hi Bert,

Thank you for your question about restarting the gbib after a
shutdown. This appears to be a VirtualBox specific error, you may find
the following thread helpful:
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=77922

It looks like you will need to discard the saved state of the machine
(right click -> Discard Saved State). I would recommend taking a
snapshot first just in case though:
VBoxManage snapshot browserbox take gbib.backup
VBoxManage discardstate browserbox

Please let us know if this helps!

Thank you again for your inquiry and using the UCSC Genome Browser. If
you have any further questions, please reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu.
All messages sent to that address are archived on a
publicly-accessible forum. If your question includes sensitive data,
you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

Christopher Lee
UCSC Genomics Institute