GBIB - Mirror Tracks & Default Tracks

Gokhul Krishna Kilaru

Aug 10, 2017, 7:55:27 PM8/10/17
to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Dear UCSC Browser Team/GBIB Team,

Hope all is well in the wild west.

I have downloaded GBIB and packed it inside a virtualbox. Everything seems to be perfect. I have a few questions.

1. If I want to mirror the mm10 tracks only(by download), how much space am I looking at? I plan on buying a 500GB SSD. Will that be sufficient?

2. How do I change the default tracks that appear on the browser? I only want to show the UCSC & Gencode mm10/M14 tracks.

Please let me know.

Thanks
~Gokhul

Cath Tyner

Aug 10, 2017, 7:58:59 PM8/10/17
to Gokhul Krishna Kilaru, genome-mirror
Hello Gokhul,

Thank you for contacting the UCSC Genome Browser support team. From your GBiB, you can find the total size of tracks for mm10 here:
../cgi-bin/hgMirror?clade=mammal&org=Mouse&db=0

To change the default tracks that appear on the browser, click on the "hide all" button under the tracks graphic, and then change the visibility for the UCSC Genes and the GENCODE tracks to "full" and "show", respectively. For more information, see the "Annotation track display modes" section on the tracks help guide: https://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenpath/help/hgTracksHelp.html#FineTuning

To reset to default tracks, you can click the "default tracks" button under the browser tracks graphic.

If you are new to the UCSC Genome Browser, you might also be interested in some introductory tutorials:

UCSC Genome Browser - Training

UCSC Genome Browser Tutorials by OpenHelix:

UCSC Genome Browser Videos:

Please respond to this list if you have further questions!

Thank you for contacting the UCSC Genome Browser support team.
​Please send new and follow-up questions to one of our UCSC Genome Browser mailing lists below:

  * Post to the Public Help Forum: E
mail
gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
​ or search the Public Archives
​  * Post to the Mirror Help Forum: Email

genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
or search the Mirror Archives​
​  * Confidential/private help: Email

genom...@soe.ucsc.edu

UCSC Genome Browser Announcements List (email alerts for new data & software):
  * Subscribe: Email genome-announce+subscribe...@soe.ucsc.edu

Join us on Social Media! FacebookTwitter, Wordpress BlogYouTube

Enjoy,
Cath
. . .
Cath Tyner
UCSC Genome Browser, Software QA & User Support
UC Santa Cruz Genomics Institute

--

---

Gokhul Krishna Kilaru

Aug 11, 2017, 12:43:46 PM8/11/17
to Cath Tyner, genome-mirror
Hi Cath-

Thank you for the info. Seems like we need at least 1TB for things to settle comfortably.

Regarding the default tracks - I am aware of the "hide all" function. But what I want to do is hide them all by default instead of visiting the browser, hiding them and then opening my tracks of choice. Any way to do this?

Appreciate your time in this regard.

Cheers
~G~

Jairo Navarro Gonzalez

Aug 22, 2017, 7:58:25 PM8/22/17
to Gokhul Krishna Kilaru, genome-mirror

Dear Gokhul,

Thank you for using the UCSC Genome Browser and your question about hiding tracks by default in GBiB.
To display only the UCSC & Gencode mm10/M14 tracks, you will have to create a local trackDb database for mm10 and edit the hg.conf.local file to use your local trackDb database.

Create a trackDb_local database

You would first have to create a trackDb_local database table for mm10 using special commands.
You can learn more about creating this database from the following trackDb help page:

http://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/mirrorManual.html#adding-tracks-to-the-browser

Edit hg.conf.local

Once you have created your trackDb_local database, you can edit hg.conf.local to point GBiB to your local database. The hg.conf.local file can be found in the following GBiB directory:

/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/

We are currently working on an alternative to creating the trackDb_local database, but we do not have set completion date. If you would like email updates about the UCSC Genome Browser, you can subscribe to our Announcements List:

I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions, please reply to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu.
All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly-accessible Google Groups forum.
If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

Jairo Navarro
UCSC Genomics Institute