adding genome to a mirror

Jerry Mersel

May 21, 2018, 1:19:39 PM5/21/18
to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi:

   I am a sys admin who administers a ucsc mirror.
   Recently I received a request to add a genome (barley_cv_morex) to the mirror.

   I was wondering if someone can help me with this task.
   Perhaps an rsync from somewhere to the mirrored database if possible.

  Thank you,
      Jerry

Christopher Lee

May 24, 2018, 11:57:24 AM5/24/18
to Jerry Mersel, genome-mirror

Hello Jerry,

Thank you for your question about adding a genome to your mirror. Unfortunately since UCSC focuses primarily on animal assemblies we don't have an easy rsync for you to add the barley genome to your mirror, you will have to build it yourself. We do have two pages you can reference for help with this task:
http://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/mirrorManual#adding-a-custom-genome-to-the-browser
http://genomewiki.ucsc.edu/index.php/Building_a_new_genome_database

Note that the mirrorManual document assumes an empty, manually installed mirror, so you can skip down to the "Start with an empty database" step to start if you used the browserSetup script to create your mirror.

It should be noted that making an assembly hub is a much easier process than adding a native genome:
http://genomewiki.ucsc.edu/index.php/Assembly_Hubs

There are also some pre-built barley assembly hubs, although I'm not sure if they are the particular assembly you are interested in.
http://genome-test.cse.ucsc.edu/gbdb/hubs/genbank/plant/plant.ncbi.html

Please let us know if you have any further questions!

Thanks,

Christopher Lee
UCSC Genomics Institute

Want to share the Browser with colleagues?
Host a workshop: http://bit.ly/ucscTraining

Thank you again for your inquiry and using the UCSC Genome Browser. If
you have any further questions, please reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu.
All messages sent to that address are archived on a
publicly-accessible forum. If your question includes sensitive data,
you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

--

---

Jerry Mersel