Genome Browser Mirror Hung on One Gene

Gokhul Krishna Kilaru

Apr 8, 2016, 5:16:12 PM4/8/16
to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu, genom...@soe.ucsc.edu
Dear UCSC Team,

Hope you are doing great.

We have a local installation of mm10 UCSC genome browser in our group.

Multiple people access the mirror links (For example:http://ourgroupmirror.edu/cgi-bin/hgTracks?hgsid=52486)  through a login page (simple .htaccess).

Strangely, very recently some of our links were stuck at one particular gene.

The mirror is hosted on my machine here in the informatics building. If I navigate to a gene say Fos, all the users are stuck at that gene. Even if they search for another gene BRCA, the mirror takes them to that particular link, but when they zoom out, the mirror jumps back to Fos gene instead of zooming out at BRCA itself.

One more weird thing is that, I can access the mirror without such issues. Is it because I am the localhost?

And if I leave the mirror at BRCA gene, whatever gene the users search for, they can go there but when they zoom out or in, then they are immediately jumped off to BRCA.

All users have tried clearing their cache, trying on multiple machines, clearing their browser temporary files and history. We still have no luck.

Could you please recommend any changes or suggestions?

Thanks
~G~

Brian Lee

Apr 11, 2016, 3:58:39 PM4/11/16
to Gokhul Krishna Kilaru, genome...@soe.ucsc.edu, genom...@soe.ucsc.edu
Dear Gokhul,

Thank you for using the UCSC Genome Browser and your question about your local mm10 genome mirror.

Could you perhaps reply off list to me directly with some more information about your mirror, and maybe also provide some error log reports from your mirror from the time around when this issue occurs?

One quick question, are you sure you are not sharing a hgsid link between your users? If someone shares a link like the following, http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTracks?hgsid=489291761_ud7nV98t9QOqHYEZ2Wraj4oUaLqE, if one person browsing with this session id key performs an action (zooms out, or to another gene position), it will happen across all browsers that use that session id key (&hgsid=) for the current cart settings. You can read more about this in a blog entry about sharing screen activity: http://genome.ucsc.edu/blog/how-to-share-your-ucsc-screenthoughts/

Thank you again for your inquiry and using the UCSC Genome Browser. If you have any further questions, please reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu. All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly-accessible forum. If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

All the best,

Brian Lee
UCSC Genomics Institute

Gokhul Krishna Kilaru

Apr 11, 2016, 4:08:51 PM4/11/16
to Brian Lee, genome...@soe.ucsc.edu, genom...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi Brian,

Thank you for your response. We appreciate it.

Yes, we are sharing a link among our users.

We are aware that any changes done by userA will be reflected to all users accessing the same link.

But our problem is that, only a specific group of users are able to see the changes in the mirror's location.

Lets say I am userA. I can move from geneA to geneB. Can zoom in and out on geneB.

Users B and C are able to do this too.

But UserD is having an issue. She can only navigate to geneB. And whenever she tries to move from there or zoom in or out at that location of geneB, the mirror immediately jumps back to geneA.

Does this make sense?

Thanks
~G~