Automatically generate session

Oliver Christoph

Mar 7, 2018, 11:31:32 AM3/7/18
to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello mailing list,

we are running a local instance of the UCSC genome browser, installed with
the installation script (GBiC). I wondered if there is a possibility to automatically
set a trackhub and generate a session without manual intervention.

So far I found only two possibilities to share a session, both of them need manual
intervention:

1. Log in as a user and save a named session.
2. Store a session as a file.

If I missed other possibilities, I'm happy to learn them. Our aim is to generate a
session automatically.

One possibility I see is to share the trackhub directly, but this wouldn't involve any
session, e.g.
http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTracks?db=hg19&hubUrl=http://vizhub.wustl.edu/VizHub/RoadmapRelease3.txt

Does anyone has experience with the same issue?

Cheers,
  Oliver

Christopher Lee

Mar 8, 2018, 12:43:39 PM3/8/18
to Oliver Christoph, genome-mirror
Hello Oliver,

Thank you for your question about automatically generating a session.
Is there any reason you need a session in particular rather than just
using the hubUrl setting (or some other combination of URL parameters
like position, db, etc)? We may be better able to assist or recommend
an easier solution if we knew a bit more about the use case.

There is a way to load a session file via url though, so if you could
automatically generate the session files on your server, then you can
specify URLs to session files via the hgS_doLoadUrl and
hgS_doLoadUrlName like so (note the hubUrl setting at the end as well,
which is only necessary for hubs not already loaded from the session):
http://yourmirrorname/cgi-bin/hgTracks?hgS_doLoadUrl=submit&hgS_loadUrlName=http://someurl/sessionfile.txt&hubUrl=http://pathtohub/hub.txt

Again, there may be an easier way to automatically generate these
links, if we knew the use case we can probably provide better advice.

Thanks,

Christopher Lee
UCSC Genomics Institute