windows?

Trent Santonastaso

Jun 22, 2016, 5:23:54 PM6/22/16
to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
I spent the afternoon reading the utilities documentation and I still can't tell if the utilities are supported by a windows machine. Please clarify.

Best,

Trent Santonastaso

Matthew Speir

Jun 27, 2016, 11:35:27 AM6/27/16
to Trent Santonastaso, genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi Trent,

Thank for your question about using the UCSC Genome Browser utilities on
Windows.

Our utilities are only compatible with UNIX systems, such as Linux or
Mac OSX, and are not compatible with Windows. Supposedly Windows 10 now
includes or will include a Linux subsystem, so you may be able to use
these utilities on Windows through that, although we've never tested it
so we can't offer much guidance on how it may work.

An easier option may be to use our Genome Browser in a Box (GBiB) which
is a virtual machine image of the UCSC Genome Browser which can be run
on Windows using the Oracle VirtualBox software. You can find more
information about using GBiB here:
http://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/gbib.html. Instructions on using
our command-line utilities in the GBiB to manipulate your own data can
be found under the "Viewing Your Own Data" section on that GBiB help
page. GBiB can be downloaded from our store here:
https://genome-store.ucsc.edu/.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions, please reply
to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu. All messages sent to that address are
archived on a publicly-accessible Google Groups forum. If your question
includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

Matthew Speir
UCSC Genome Bioinformatics Group