3x zoom broken on GB mirror

David Hoover

Mar 4, 2016, 12:29:29 PM3/4/16
to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi,

This is a strange one. A user just reported that the 3x button (zoom in
and zoom out) gives this error message:

hgTracks object is missing from the response

I've traced it back to js/hgTracks.js, but I have no idea why only the
3x button gives this error. The 1.5x, 10x, and 100x buttons are fine.

The URL for our mirror is https://hpcwebapps.cit.nih.gov/eyebrowse.

Any clues of where to start looking to find a cause?

Thanks,
David Hoover
HPC @ NIH

Galt Barber

Mar 4, 2016, 3:37:34 PM3/4/16
to David Hoover, genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi, David!

The 3x button is padded with some spaces to increase the width.
When ajax callback sends request it looks like this:

https://hpcwebapps.cit.nih.gov/eyebrowse/cgi-bin/hgTracks?hgt.out2=%203x%20&hgt.trackImgOnly=1&hgt.ideogramToo=1&hgsid=913392_oET3IYqHdcdFHlBs5TCzhjQFhpsI&_=1457117769646

Which has those spaces correctly html-encoded in the request.

If you go to that URL, you get this:

ERROR: bad input code is 521

But 521 is not a standard http error code.
I guess you guys made it up.

By they way, changing the URL to remove those %20 encoded
spaces around the hgt.out2 value will result in a normal response
instead of an error.

Since we do not  see the error here, it must be a change
made to your web server configuration, and if it started recently,
then it is because somebody at your site just changed it.

It seems that some sort of defensive mechanism you have on the server is objecting to having padded values, even though properly escaped.
You will have to check your own settings, or talk to your admins.
The defense mechanism is too sensitive, this is a false-positive.

-Galt

David Hoover

Mar 4, 2016, 5:46:33 PM3/4/16
to Galt Barber, genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Yep, you're exactly right. I modified the code to filter out any
suspicious characters. I log the filters, and sure enough there it is.

Thanks,
David