Genome Browser: high CGI_TIME Overall total time

Omer Shechter

May 21, 2015, 12:04:55 PM5/21/15
to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello,
I've installed the GB using the script (https://github.com/maximilianh/browserInstall/blob/master/browserInstall.sh) on a local machine (Debian Jessie).
The browser seems to work, but is extremely slow (takes about 15 seconds and above to load). For example, when clicking on "Genome Browser" on the home page I get on my apache's error.log:
[Thu May 21 14:47:39.454177 2015] [cgi:error] [pid 13608] [client *.*.*.*:53855] AH01215: CGI_TIME: hgGateway: Overall total time: 14207 millis, referer: http://*.*.*.*/index.html
Sometimes it's even goes as high as 45039 millis.

I've tried restarting my server and it didn't worked. I was looking at "top" and "iotop" but saw nothing suspicious. Any idea how to reduce the CGI_TIME to normal values?
Thanks,
Omer

Maximilian Haeussler

May 21, 2015, 12:08:56 PM5/21/15
to Omer Shechter, genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi Omer,

thank you for your feedback, it's good to hear that the script worked.

Yes, from Ireland, the on-the-fly loading will not be fast enough. If
you have enough diskspace, you should try to download the data of an
assembly. I will update the documentation to make it clear that from
Europe and Japan, on-the-fly data loading is too slow.

To download an assembly, you should be able to run the script with the
assembly added ("bash browserInstall.sh ce2").

Let us know if you have any other questions,
cheers
Max