Blat version #s

Lachlan Musicman

Nov 2, 2016, 10:33:41 AM11/2/16
to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hi,

I'm installing software that has blat v 35 as a requirement. I can see here https://users.soe.ucsc.edu/~kent/src/ that v35 is the latest.

When I go to the precompiled binaries for blat ( via:

https://genome.ucsc.edu/util.html ->
http://hgdownload.cse.ucsc.edu/downloads.html#source_downloads ->
http://hgdownload.soe.ucsc.edu/admin/exe/linux.x86_64/  ->
http://hgdownload.soe.ucsc.edu/admin/exe/linux.x86_64/blat/

)

I see that blat was compiled on Oct 25 2016 (two weeks ago) but the FOOTER.txt claims that it is v34.

Is it really v34 or is that some documentation that hadn't been updated yet?

cheers
L.

------
The most dangerous phrase in the language is, "We've always done it this way."

- Grace Hopper

Christopher Lee

Nov 4, 2016, 11:03:03 AM11/4/16
to Lachlan Musicman, genome...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hello Lachlan,

Thank you for your question about BLAT documentation. You are correct, we did not update the FOOTER.txt file with the last release. It is now updated to reflect the current version of BLAT, 36x2:
http://hgdownload.soe.ucsc.edu/admin/exe/linux.x86_64/blat/

Additionally, BLAT is generally speaking backwards compatible with previous versions, so you should be ok with version 36x2 as opposed to v35. Please see this thread for more info:
https://groups.google.com/a/soe.ucsc.edu/d/msg/genome-mirror/4KB5HJATo_U/6MbxV2NNAwAJ

Thanks again for catching this error, please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank you again for your inquiry and using the UCSC Genome Browser. If you have any further questions, please reply to genome...@soe.ucsc.edu. All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly-accessible forum. If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

Christopher Lee
UCSC Genomics Institute

--

---