New NCBI RefSeq tracks for mouse, mm10

Jairo Navarro Gonzalez

Nov 21, 2017, 6:24:32 PM11/21/17
to Genome Announce

We are pleased to announce the release of a new set of gene annotation tracks for the mm10/GRCm38 assembly based on data from NCBI's Reference Sequence Database (RefSeq). For all of these tracks, the alignments and coordinates are provided by RefSeq. These tracks are organized in a composite track that includes:

  • RefSeq All – all annotations from the curated and predicted sets
  • RefSeq Curated – curated annotations beginning with NM, NR, or NP
  • RefSeq Predicted – predicted annotations beginning with XM or XR
  • RefSeq Other – all other RefSeq annotations not included in RefSeq All
  • RefSeq Alignments – alignments of transcripts to the genome provided by RefSeq

The new composite track also includes a "UCSC RefSeq" track that is based on our original "RefSeq Genes" track. As with before, this UCSC track is a result of our realignments of RefSeq RNAs to the genome, which means that there may be some cases where the annotations differ from those in the new NCBI RefSeq tracks.

More details about these tracks, their construction, and how to access their underlying data can be found on this blog or the track description page.

A huge thank you to Terence Murphy from the RefSeq group and to Hiram Clawson, Brian Raney, Mark Diekhans, Angie Hinrichs, Jairo Navarro and many others from the UCSC Genome Browser staff for bringing this track to life.