New Way to Share Sessions - Public Sessions!

Matthew Speir

Jun 28, 2016, 2:35:29 PM6/28/16
to genome-...@soe.ucsc.edu
We are excited to announce the release of the Public Sessions page, the newest way to share your UCSC Genome Browser snapshots with your colleagues and the world. The Public Sessions page collects sessions that users have elected to share publicly. Sessions on this page can be filtered based on assembly, name, or a phrase from the description. Sessions can also be sorted based on their popularity or creation date. To add your own sessions to this Public Sessions page, just check the box under "post in public listing" on the session management page.

The Genome Browser session management page has also received an update with the release of the new Public Sessions page. Sessions are now arranged in a table, where varying numbers of sessions can be displayed on a page of this table. Sessions can now be filtered and ordered based on session name, primary assembly, and creation date. Clicking on the session name now displays that session in the Genome Browser. Session details, such as the name or the description, can be changed using the "details" button in the new table layout.

The release of the new Public Sessions page also marks a change in our session expiration policy. We no longer expire sessions and associated custom tracks four months after their last use. Please note, however, that the UCSC Genome Browser is not a data storage service and that we encourage you to keep local copies of your session contents and custom track data.

For more information about using sessions to share snapshots of the UCSC Genome Browser, please see the User Guide or our blog post, "How to share your UCSC screenthoughts."

--

Matthew Speir
UCSC Genome Bioinformatics Group