Read count track for Tabula Muris dataset

Manjegowda, Mohan C (mcm3ha)

Jan 17, 2023, 3:57:46 PM1/17/23
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello,

I found the reads mapping to MCU gene beginning do not match with the RefSeq coordinates. I was wondering if this is a technical issue and if this affects the expression level measurement. Because, although the expression level is very high in the microglia compared to other cell types (attached figure), the median expression level per cell is not very different from macrophage. Moreover, % cells with >0 counts are more in macrophages (attached figure). I would like to know if this is of any concern.

UCSC Genome Browser on Mouse_(@RCm38/mm10
move zoomin 1.5x 3x lox base zoomout 1.5x 3x lox 100x
chrio:sg 169,709 op.
gene, chromosome range, search terms, help pages, see e: go exam*s
chrIO (qB4)
mufti-region
59,490,000
Scale
chr10:
Mcu
Gml 0322
McwNM_001033259.4
microglia cv
macrophage cv
astrocyte cv
neuron cv
class monocyte cv
mature NK cv
immat T cell cv
comm lymph prg cv
50 kb
1 84
mm 10
59,550,000
59,520,000
Reference Assembly fix Patch Sequence Alignments
Reference Assembly Alternate Haplotype Sequence Alignments
Your Sequence from PCR Search
GENCODE VM23 Comprehensive Transcript Set (only Basic displayed by default)
NC81 RefSeq genes, curated subset (NM_•, NR_•, NP_• or YP_•) • Annotation Release NCBI Mus musculus Updated Annotation Release 108.20200622
microglial cell Coverage (4394 cells)
macrophage Coverage (395 cells)
astrocyte Coverage (432 cells)
neuron Coverage (281 cells)
classical monocyte Coverage (90 cells)
mature natural killer cell Coverage (49 cells)
immature T cell Coverage (1337 cells)
common lymphoid progenitor Coverage (156 cells)
CpG Islands (Islands 300 Bases are Light Green)
CpG: 55

Please let me know if you need any further details.

Thanks,
Mohan

Mohan C Manjegowda, PhD

Senior Scientist (Desai Lab)
Dept. of Pharmacology
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA-22908

Luis Nassar

Jan 20, 2023, 3:31:10 PM1/20/23
to Manjegowda, Mohan C (mcm3ha), gen...@soe.ucsc.edu

Hello, Mohan.

Thank you for your interest in the Browser.

While we can confirm that what you are pointing out here is peculiar and that the data as we display it is correct, we recommend you contact Tabula Muris directly to hear if they have a better explanation of what is occurring.

As you share, we see peaks outside the exon boundaries (https://genome.ucsc.edu/s/Lou/RM30509.1). One of our engineers points out that according to the Tabula Muris paper they used STAR aligner, which uses exon information but does not align to just exons. You could try contacting Angela Pisco (angela...@czbiohub.org) who is listed as one of the contacts for the project (https://data.humancellatlas.org/explore/projects/e0009214-c0a0-4a7b-96e2-d6a83e966ce0). If you do decide to contact them, consider cc'ing my colleague Max (mhae...@ucsc.edu) as he brought this data into the Browser and is interested to see what they have to say.

I hope this is helpful. Please include gen...@soe.ucsc.edu in any replies to ensure visibility by the team. All messages sent to that address are archived on our public forum. If your question includes sensitive information, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

Lou Nassar
UCSC Genomics Institute