R models in SMART

Russ Gray

Nov 17, 2021, 1:28:01 AM11/17/21
to SMART Community Forum
Hey SMART Community,

I have realized there is an R plugin for SMART, but after reading the documentation for the plugin it doesn't appear that there is much use in terms of importing complex geospatial models or anything.

While I am aware of the PAWS model being integrated into SMART 7, I am a big R used and I have a few machine learning models, and criminal forensic models I have used in the past that I would really like to incorporate into our teams workflow.

Geographic profiling for example, is an extremely powerful tool for managers to identify central points of operation of poachers in parks given minimal amounts of data available. For example, if I were to use traps found for a month, the algorithm would cluster them by distribution probability (lets assume a 1-2km radius) and then identify the most probable center point (the poachers encampment or point of entry into the park). However, while I am able to use simple coordinate data for these models, I'm not sure I can plug them into SMART to automate the process.

Our data managers are not as programming savvy as myself, so I wanted to automate this for them to use on demand for them.

Does anyone want to work together to make this happen?

All the best,
RG

Palmer, Jonathan

Nov 18, 2021, 2:39:38 PM11/18/21
to Russ Gray, SMART Community Forum

Rus

Great and super timely question.

We execute on work in SMART through a number of Task Forces.  One of those is the Integrations Task Force that has led a collaborative effort to ensure SMART can integrate data from 100s of different field sensors.

The Integrations Task Force is planning to drill down in the year ahead on how we support every to do more with SMART data.  The plan is to reach out to the community and ask them to document how they are currently making use of SMART data in other systems.

If we gave you a template, would you be willing to fill it out to explain how you want SMART to more easily support / automate some of the analysis you are working on?

Jonathan

Nov 19, 2021, 1:13:51 AM11/19/21
to SMART Community Forum, Palmer, Jonathan
Hey Jonathan, yes absolutely.
I can also provide some coded reprexes with some PAs and dummy data for proof of concept for each of them for testing if that would help.

Please send over the template when you get a chance and I will try to send it back with the info as soon as I get a chance. Do you have a deadline for the next task-force meeting?

Best,
RG

--
Russell J. Gray
Wildlife Ecology & Conservation Consultant

0934581341 |  rjgray...@gmail.com
705 alligator ranch rd. New Smyrna Beach, FL, USA. 32168

Palmer, Jonathan

Nov 19, 2021, 7:58:46 AM11/19/21
to Russell J Gray, SMART Community Forum

Rus

We’ve not scheduled this work.  For those in the US, next week is a holiday week, so we’ll try to get back to you and the wider community within a couple of weeks.

JP