Case Management

Ben Kaesehagen

Jun 3, 2020, 4:48:53 PM6/3/20
to SMART Community Forum
To all,

I was wondering if SMART can be used for "Case Management"? For example, unlawful activity is detected by someone and from that starts a followup investigation. Evidence is initially collected at the point of the unlawful activity and that information is then used for intelligence (I can see SMART has the capability of linking and building the intelligence profile/s and linking them) and to start an ongoing investigation. Therefore the investigation requires management (case notes, additional information, linking to legislation and regulations etc). Therefore can SMART allow users to login and manage a "case"? I know there is plenty of software out there for Case Management but it would be great to not have to "export" data to another software platform, rather than keeping it within SMART.

Rosie Faccone

Jun 5, 2020, 3:18:25 PM6/5/20
to Ben Kaesehagen, SMART Community Forum
Hey Ben,

Attached is the training manual for implementing SMART Profiles, as well as a helpful video.

SMART Profiles and SMART Events allow you to create workflows to follow up on observations.  Understanding the what/when/how of following up on observations is very organizationally specific and we’ve created a very flexible system.  SMART Profiles allows you to create your own database, define your own objects and decide how these are related to each other.  SMART Events allows you to create triggers within the SMART system so that, for example, an arrest recorded in SMART Patrol automatically triggers a workflow in SMART Profiles.

Both because it’s early days, and because any solution needs to be heavily customized based on local need, we don’t have simple out of the box instructions on how to set this up, and the best way forward is to work with someone from the SMART Partnership to help you set this up.  Do you have a timeline for implementing this?

Rosie

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 2:48 PM Ben Kaesehagen <ben.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Technology Coordinator, Wildlife Protection Solutions
skype: rosie.faccone

20190110_Training_Manual_for_SMART_Profiles_6_sm (1).pdf

Debby Thomson - Bushveld Connections

Jun 21, 2020, 1:08:03 PM6/21/20
to Rosie Faccone, SMART Software Google Group

Hi Rosie

Just following on from your email below that you shared earlier this month, I just want to find out – I am starting to play around with the profiles section of SMART, however, I just want to check on something please – when I create an entity type and I need to add in the related attributes – is it expected that I need to create this from scratch or can I import attributes from my already established data model?    From what I can see at the moment, I need to recreate this from scratch – is that correct?

I also just want to check – is there any way that if one of my field operatives submits data related to one of the entities, is there any way to link it that it automatically updates the entity profile or must I then re-input the data manually myself – ie from what I can see, the workflow to get info into an entitiy profile is:

  • Information/ data input through Smart Mobile/ Cybertracker (or sourced from alternative source), processed through Smart Connect and stored on Smart Desktop
  • Query and potential report run on expected data to obtain results / info on entity/ entity type
  • Data then manually re-input / re-typed into entity profile

Or am I missing something and there is in fact a way to connect the two and so info submitted via the mobile/ patrol platform can automatically update the entity profile where necessary?   If this is in fact possible, please instruct me on how to do so as I am battling to find any option on how to do so.

Many thanks

Debby

From: Rosie Faccone <rosie....@wildlifeprotectionsolutions.org>
Date: Friday, 05 June 2020 at 21:18
To: Ben Kaesehagen <ben.k...@gmail.com>
Cc: SMART Software Google Group <comm...@smartconservationsoftware.org>
Subject: Re: Case Management

[...]

Image removed by sender.

Alexander Wyatt

Jun 22, 2020, 10:45:05 PM6/22/20
to Debby Thomson - Bushveld Connections, Rosie Faccone, SMART Software Google Group
Hi Debby,

Profiles does indeed use a separate data model for entities and records to that of core SMART. For records and entities you will need to create new categories and attributes. With that said, you can link observations from core SMART to your SMART Profiles records using the map/locations tab and adding observations which can be used for querying your data.

To speak to your second question regarding the automatic creation of records and entities from observations the answer is yes, this can be done, using the System Triggers plug-in. This allows you to set up a "trigger" for certain observations which can be used to automatically create entities and records. This will require some follow up to ensure that the automatically created record / entity contains all the required information.

Tiggers are available as a local plug-in and will be accessible from the Field Data menu. Below is an example.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Alex

In this database a trigger has been set up to automatically create a "poaching record" whenever poaching is recorded on a mobile data collection device. I would then go in and populate the rest of the information for this record (which will be linked directly to this observation in the patrol).
image.png

--
Alexander Wyatt

Wildlife Law Enforcement Program Officer  |  WWF-Wildlife Crime Initiative | WWF-Cambodia, 21, Street 322, St. 29, Phnom Penh |  Tele: +855 (0) 11 255 206 | Skype: live:awyatt_42

Debby Thomson - Bushveld Connections

Jun 23, 2020, 3:15:25 AM6/23/20
to Alexander Wyatt, Rosie Faccone, SMART Software Google Group

Much appreciated Alexander – I will play around with these options hopefully tomorrow – VERY much appreciated – I am very excited about getting this aspect set up 😊

Take Care

Debby

From: Rosie Faccone <rosie....@wildlifeprotectionsolutions.org>
Date: Friday, 05 June 2020 at 21:18
To: Ben Kaesehagen <ben.k...@gmail.com>
Cc: SMART Software Google Group <comm...@smartconservationsoftware.org>

[...]

Error! Filename not specified.

Alexander Wyatt

Wildlife Law Enforcement Program Officer  |  WWF-Wildlife Crime Initiative | WWF-Cambodia, 21, Street 322, St. 29, Phnom Penh |  Tele: +855 (0) 11 255 206 | Skype: live:awyatt_42

Palmer, Jonathan

Jun 23, 2020, 8:30:14 AM6/23/20
to Debby Thomson - Bushveld Connections, Alexander Wyatt, Rosie Faccone, SMART Software Google Group

Debby

Please let us know how you get on – we know setting up profiles and triggers is quite technical, so would be interested in feedback about how to make it easier to deploy.

Jonathan

Jun 23, 2020, 9:24:25 AM6/23/20
to Palmer, Jonathan, Debby Thomson - Bushveld Connections, Alexander Wyatt, Rosie Faccone, SMART Software Google Group
Hi all,

It is almost the same for me - two full weeks now I am dealing on how to track "offenders" from Profiles plugin. So if someone finds something to conduct it- I am pleased to learn.

Aristide

May 22, 2021, 9:53:27 AM5/22/21
to SMART Community Forum, rosie....@wildlifeprotectionsolutions.org, SMART Community Forum, ben.k...@gmail.com

May you kindly resend the link for the manual. Here is the error I am encountering  "Sorry, the file you have requested does not exist"

Hötte, Michiel

May 23, 2021, 9:59:11 AM5/23/21
to BVC Anti-Poaching, SMART Community Forum, rosie....@wildlifeprotectionsolutions.org, ben.k...@gmail.com
Dear Rosie,