Ebird and SMART

Jorge Valenzuela

Jul 22, 2021, 12:10:26 PM7/22/21
to SMART Community Forum
Hi, everyone:

Someone has experience exporting data from SMART to EBIRD?

Regards

Daniel van der Post

Jul 24, 2021, 5:47:05 PM7/24/21
to SMART Community Forum, dr.jval...@gmail.com
Hi,
sorry I do not, but I am also interested in importing similar data from iNaturalist :D
It doesn't appear trivial because on may have to create ecological records surveys where the observations can be embedded. Not sure. I am hoping to spend some time looking into this soon.
Daniel

Guido Saborio

Jul 24, 2021, 7:39:23 PM7/24/21
to Daniel van der Post, SMART Community Forum, dr.jval...@gmail.com
Hello,

Data integration between platforms it is also of my interest.
Jorge and I are working in a R script to format Jorge’s SMART data into eBird format.

Will share more information if we figure it out!

Pura Vida

Guido

M.Sc. Guido Saborío R.
Biólogo

Daniel van der Post

Jul 24, 2021, 8:11:38 PM7/24/21
to Guido Saborio, SMART Community Forum, dr.jval...@gmail.com
Oh yes please share if you figure it out to see if I can adapt it for inaturalist!

Denton Joachim

Jul 26, 2021, 5:30:21 AM7/26/21
to SMART Community Forum, d.j.van...@gmail.com, SMART Community Forum, dr.jval...@gmail.com, guido.s...@gmail.com
Hi All

If you have feedback please keep us all updated.

There are sometimes workarounds where CSV data that's been formatted can be added.
If you have an example spreadsheet of data to share as a sample maybe we can look at the format and see

Regards

Tony Lynam

Aug 23, 2021, 6:31:57 AM8/23/21
to Daniel van der Post, Guido Saborio, SMART Community Forum, dr.jval...@gmail.com
Hi Daniel and Guido

Thanks for your interest in helping Jorge. There may be interest from other projects in having an approach for exporting SMART ecological records (survey) data to iNaturalist e.g. 5-minute bird counts.  If you have an R-script solution please do share!

Cheers
Tony

Antony J. Lynam Ph.D
Conservation Technology Field Solutions

Center for Global Conservation,

Wildlife Conservation Society

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 8:11 AM Daniel van der Post <d.j.van...@gmail.com> wrote:
EXTERNAL EMAIL - Please Use Caution

enock ochieng

Aug 23, 2021, 6:55:37 AM8/23/21
to Tony Lynam, Daniel van der Post, Guido Saborio, SMART Community Forum, dr.jval...@gmail.com
Still looking for any leads on START with SMART ER please.
Thank you
Enock Odera Ochieng
Programs Officer
The Bill Woodley Mt. Kenya Co LTD
PO Box 690-10400, Nanyuki, Kenya
Mobile Phone: +254 727 780 647

Save paper, save trees and only print this email if you have to.

Daniel van der Post

Aug 23, 2021, 8:04:07 AM8/23/21
to Tony Lynam, Guido Saborio, SMART Community Forum, dr.jval...@gmail.com
Hi,
I don't have a R script solution for export to iNaturalist, but it should not be too hard (at least manually).
1) From SMART queries one can export a CSV file
2) One then needs to make sure that the CSV file has the correct headers in the correct order according to the iNaturalist specifications.
3) import the CSV file into iNaturalist

If an R script can do step 1 and 2 then it would be easier of course, but I have not yet got round to combining SMART and R yet.

Cheers
Daniel

--
Daniel van der Post
d.j.van...@gmail.com

Want to help conserve critically endangered monkeys and birds, or just want to help restore forest and mitigate climate change? Check out  Fundacion Biodiversa Colombia

Guido Saborio

Aug 23, 2021, 1:44:08 PM8/23/21
to Daniel van der Post, Tony Lynam, SMART Community Forum, dr.jval...@gmail.com
Hello everyone,

Find attached a document (en español), with basic R code that could help with points 1 and 2 mentioned by Daniel, using the R plugin within SMART.

As it is stated in the document, the code is just an example, and will not work with your data, but may help you write your own code!

Best

Guido
SMART_iNat_GSaborio.html

Redempta Njeri

Aug 24, 2021, 9:43:36 AM8/24/21
to enock ochieng, Tony Lynam, Daniel van der Post, Guido Saborio, SMART Community Forum, dr.jval...@gmail.com
Hi Enock,
We have set up visualization of SMART queries/observations on ER, which I'd be  happy to assist.
Let me know if that would be of help.

Best,
Redempta

--

REDEMPTA NDUGUTA

GIS and Data Coordinator

M: +254 (0) 720 607 719

T: +254 (0) 20 800 2975

This email (and any attachment) is intended only for the attention of the addressee(s).  Its unauthorised use, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all copies and inform the sender by return e-mail or telephone +254 (0) 20 800 2975.

clarine kigoli

Aug 24, 2021, 10:36:35 AM8/24/21
to Redempta Njeri, enock ochieng, Tony Lynam, Daniel van der Post, Guido Saborio, SMART Community Forum, dr.jval...@gmail.com
Hi Redempta,

I think Emock means Ecological Records and not Earth Ranger.It's confusing that both are abbreviated as ER

Guido Saborio

Aug 24, 2021, 11:22:09 AM8/24/21
to enock ochieng, Tony Lynam, Daniel van der Post, SMART Community Forum, dr.jval...@gmail.com
Dear Enock,
I have been testing SMART Ecological Records for marine mammals monitoring in Costa Rica, just at the beginning, but have learned a bit on this module.
Do you have specific questions about SMART ER? Are you conducting wildlife monitoring currently?

Pura vida

Guido

Daniel van der Post

Sep 3, 2021, 9:37:51 AM9/3/21
to Guido Saborio, Tony Lynam, SMART Community Forum, dr.jval...@gmail.com
Thank you very much Guido. That is very helpful.

I am actually also looking for a way to do the reverse: i.e. import data (e.g. a CSV file of observations) into SMART. So far I haven't made much progress. Actually I don't even know if there is any way to do that? If anyone has any pointers that would be greatly appreciated!

Bergl, Richard

Sep 3, 2021, 11:46:29 AM9/3/21
to Daniel van der Post, Guido Saborio, Tony Lynam, SMART Community Forum, dr.jval...@gmail.com

There is a utility available to import csv data into smart, but it is somewhat complicated. You can get instructions here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14G9ZjqUkuka5OZI8XxN4JsZgrioeNYsz63S6Cu2sWJ0/edit?usp=sharing

Palmer, Jonathan

Sep 3, 2021, 11:53:28 AM9/3/21
to Bergl, Richard, Daniel van der Post, Guido Saborio, Tony Lynam, SMART Community Forum, dr.jval...@gmail.com

Daniel van der Post

Sep 3, 2021, 12:14:45 PM9/3/21
to Palmer, Jonathan, Bergl, Richard, Guido Saborio, Tony Lynam, SMART Community Forum, dr.jval...@gmail.com
Thanks so much!

Guido Saborio

Sep 3, 2021, 12:25:05 PM9/3/21
to Daniel van der Post, Palmer, Jonathan, Bergl, Richard, Tony Lynam, SMART Community Forum, dr.jval...@gmail.com
Thank you Richard and Jonathan for the information.

Jonathan,  I can't access/download the tool itself from the link you sent, not sure why. Would be possible for you to send it to me again and/or in a different format?
Pura vida
Guido

--
M.Sc. Guido Saborío R.