What phones to use

Antonia Leckie

Nov 16, 2020, 10:31:12 AM11/16/20
to SMART Community Forum
Hello!

We are desperate for a new set of phones in the field as inevitably phones get dropped, thrown, dunked, driven over, swimming and often just spontaneously decide to stop working.

We used to order Blackview b700 and they were sturdy with a very reliable GPS which produced high resolution but we have had a lot of problems with the USB ports and they are no longer manufactures.
I think that most Samsungs have unreliable GPSs though it depends on the individual phone rather then the model so i would like to avoid those!

Has anyone used any of the following phones on SMART/SMART connect: (and if not please suggest any alternatives)
-Blackview B90
-Raptor R5X

Many thanks in advance.

Antonia Leckie,
Lion Landscapes

Bergl, Richard

Nov 16, 2020, 10:47:50 AM11/16/20
to Antonia Leckie, SMART Community Forum

The Raptor devices are generally reliable. The Blackview BV9500 line is what many of the sites we work with use successfully.

Nov 16, 2020, 10:54:22 AM11/16/20
to Antonia Leckie, Bergl, Richard, SMART Community Forum

I’ve done some limited testing with an Ulefone X3 device and had no issues. It worked fairly well, but I wasn’t testing under field conditions in relatively developed area, so can’t speak to its battery life, durability, etc. I know some of our partners are also starting to use these, as they were easier to obtain than Blackview devices. Early testing there suggests they work well, but devices are all relatively new.

Drew T. Cronin, Ph.D.

Voice: +1-336-879-7409 | Skype: drew.t.cronin | Calendar

Adam Norton-Turner

Nov 17, 2020, 7:37:11 AM11/17/20
to Cronin, Drew T, Antonia Leckie, Bergl, Richard, SMART Community Forum
Hi,

I have been using the Blackview BV9800 pro and it has been very reliable with GPS and long battery life. Wireless charging saves the USB port from damage and keeps the waterproof seal from degrading. The only downside is Android 9 which I don't like but 10 is due to be released soon. I had a problem with the proximity sensor when making calls which was annoying but that has nothing to do with field work, only during calls. They have come down a bit in price recently too.

I recommend this device if you have the budget.

Regards,

Adam J. Norton Turner
Swedish Ranger Association

Jeff Muntifering

Nov 17, 2020, 8:35:06 AM11/17/20
to Adam Norton-Turner, Cronin, Drew T, Antonia Leckie, Bergl, Richard, SMART Community Forum
Hi all,

In north-west Namibia, we have been using the BV 9500 with good success and now shifting to the more available (as Drew mentioned) Ulefone 3w - they look almost identical to the BV 9500 with very similar specs.  While we have not rolled them all out yet, the trials produced excellent results and with a 10300 mAh battery (slightly larger than the BV 9500) we should get solid longevity as well.  Happy to give more feedback following the implementation.

Cheers -- Jeff

--
Jeff Muntifering, PhD

Science Adviser, Save the Rhino Trust (Namibia) www.savetherhinotrust.org
Adjunct Professor, Namibia University of Science and Technology (Namibia)
Tel (Namibia) +264-(0)81-312-2738

Science & Innovation Adviser, True Nature Conservation Association 瞳之初自然保护协会 (China):  WeChat ID: XiniuJeffu

'Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul' -- E. Abbey

Antonia Leckie

Nov 17, 2020, 9:07:16 AM11/17/20
to Jeff Muntifering, Adam Norton-Turner, Cronin, Drew T, Bergl, Richard, SMART Community Forum
Hi all,

Thank you so much for all the responses I have received from this! We will make a decision shortly and when testing is finished I will try and feedback on what model we have chosen and how well it works.
It is so great to be part of such a wonderful and helpful community.

All the best,

Antonia Leckie

Conservation Biologist

Tel: +254 717541315

www.lionlandscapes.org

Maaz, Julio

Nov 17, 2020, 9:50:50 AM11/17/20
to Antonia Leckie, Jeff Muntifering, Adam Norton-Turner, Cronin, Drew T, Bergl, Richard, SMART Community Forum

Hi Antonia,

I am also switching to Ule Armor 5 and 7.  Major issue I am finding with most devices is the charging ports burn out. I have deduced that this is mainly due to over charging, unstable power sources and bad phone user practices such as connecting the power charging cable to roughly.

Nov 17, 2020, 10:15:06 AM11/17/20
to Maaz, Julio, Antonia Leckie, Jeff Muntifering, Adam Norton-Turner, Cronin, Drew T, SMART Community Forum

Hi all,

A disadvantage of many of the devices we all use is that they are essential consumer-grade devices that we are using in a challenging work environment. There are several manufacturers that make excellent devices that are designed for “commercial” use. These are typically more rugged that the Blackview, Ulefone, Samsung, etc. devices and have lots of additional features like replaceable batteries, charging stations for multiple devices, and other field accessories.

Before the proliferation of inexpensive phone we use Trimble devices for many years. Some of these are still running five or more years later. The disadvantage to this class of devices is that they tend to be much more expensive (USD 1,000 or more). This cost may in some cases be worth it in exchange for longer device life and less user frustration. Some examples include:

https://www.sonimtech.com/products/devices/xp8/

https://na.panasonic.com/us/computers-tablets-handhelds/handhelds/

https://geospatial.trimble.com/data-collectors

That being said, some of these devices can have issues as well (there was one particular Trimble model that was terrible, despite the cost), so it is important to field test before investing in multiple devices.

Rich

I am also switching to Ule Armor 5 and 7.  Major issue I am finding with most devices is the charging ports burn out. I have deduced that this is mainly due to over charging, unstable power sources and bad phone user practices such as connecting the power charging cable to roughly.

Thank you so much for all the responses I have received from this! We will make a decision shortly and when testing is finished I will try and feedback on what model we have chosen and how well it works.

It is so great to be part of such a wonderful and helpful community.

All the best,

Image removed by sender.

Antonia Leckie

Conservation Biologist

Tel: +254 717541315

www.lionlandscapes.org

Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender.  Image removed by sender.  Image removed by sender.

Jorge Valenzuela

Nov 17, 2020, 1:22:01 PM11/17/20
to Bergl, Richard, Maaz, Julio, Antonia Leckie, Jeff Muntifering, Adam Norton-Turner, Cronin, Drew T, SMART Community Forum
Hi.

We are testing a CAT S61. Great battery capacity and the gps works very well in the high andean plateau. We are this phone without gsm sim card using cybertracker and SmartMobile.

Regards

Jorge Valenzuela
Medico Veterinario

Andean Cat Alliance - Chile

Felipe Spina

Nov 17, 2020, 1:59:04 PM11/17/20
to Jorge Valenzuela, Bergl, Richard, Maaz, Julio, Antonia Leckie, Jeff Muntifering, Adam Norton-Turner, Cronin, Drew T, SMART Community Forum
Hi all,

Here in Brazil, we have a "training set" with Cedar tree CT5, that has been in service for quite a while and are good and robust , but a bit pricey... I also used them in some projects in Africa with good results...

Unfortunately, neither Cedar tree or Blackview phones are "legally sold" or can be used in Brazil, so in our projects with the government, we also have been using CAT phones (S40 & S60 models) that are the only rugged phones that we can buy over here legally...I´m particularly not a big fan of CAT (as I had bad personal experience with a previous CAT phone I owned...)  but so far, other then the high cost, the CAT phones have performed ok over here.

However,  if we could legally use/acquire in Brazil, I  would much rather use a cheaper rugged phone option, preferably with radio/walkie talk function like the Blackview BV9500 Pro instead ...like that you would have a good, not too expensive, rugged phone to collect data, that can double as a device to help on the communication of the rangers teams...if any of the smart teams are using the BV9500 Pro or another phone with radio capacity, I would be curious to hear some feedback about their performance under field conditions.

Regards,
Felipe

Felipe Spina Avino

Analista de Conservação Sênior – Senior Conservation Analyst

WWF - Brasil

T: +55 (061) 981656817

Felip...@wwf.org.br / Felip...@wwf.org.br

Skype:  felipe.spina2 /  Felipe...@wwf.org.br