RE: [External] Phone running out of space - Important information about SMART Mobile builds

mha...@smartconservationsoftware.org

Mar 1, 2022, 3:34:12 PM3/1/22
to Lizbeth Mate, Justin Steventon, Bergl, Richard, Community Forum

Hi Lizbeth and SMART Community,

Thanks for the question, Lizbeth.

I was planning to write a message to the SMART Community about SMART Mobile builds on the stores with this update, so great timing!

The SMART Mobile build on the stores currently requires SMART 7.4.1 – this is due to recent changes to Android phones which required a security patch to be added to SMART.

For users on SMART 6.3, you can use SMART Mobile/Collect 385 and below. So in your case, you can download build 320 from the SMART website or I can send you a copy of 385.

Many thanks

Monica

Mar 2, 2022, 8:30:03 AM3/2/22
to Monica Harris, Justin Steventon, Bergl, Richard, Community Forum
Dear Monica,

Thank you for the update. I would appreciate receiving the build 385 as we are currently using 320.

Best regards,
Lizbeth

Justin Steventon

Mar 2, 2022, 12:39:10 PM3/2/22
to Lizbeth Mate, Monica Harris, Bergl, Richard, Community Forum

Hi Lizbeth,

The device keeps track of old data and logs and this is sent when creating a bug report. When trying to understand problems, it is very helpful to see what happened.

In build 320 we did not limit the size of this history, but more recently we do. The quota just means that we keep a certain amount of old data, but at some point when it gets too large, we will clear it.

image001.jpg

Monica Harris

Mar 2, 2022, 12:57:28 PM3/2/22
to Lizbeth Mate, Justin Steventon, Bergl, Richard, Community Forum
Hi all,

I have updated the version of SMART Mobile on the website to 385.

This version works with SMART 6.3.

If you load the 385 APK on a device with 320, then Android will upgrade automatically and you will not have to re-install the Configurable Model, I hope that is helpful.

Thanks

Monica

Lizbeth Mate

Mar 8, 2022, 7:34:26 AM3/8/22
to Justin Steventon, Community Forum, Monica Harris, Bergl, Richard
Hi Justin,

I have been monitoring the phones since we reinstalled the configurable model. For the phone that I sent you the bug report, a. at first the app kept saying 'not responding' while on patrol but upon restraining the phone that issue went away b. The phone keeps losing location, this was not a problem previously and has been noted on a second phone as well.

We had another phone that said storage is full, following your directions I attach herein a screenshot of the space utilised by the app. You can see it is quite a large amount and this is after he has deleted the files in the SMART data folder.

Kindly assist.

Best regards,
Lizbeth

PHOTO-2022-03-04-07-51-31.jpg

Justin Steventon

Mar 8, 2022, 11:01:21 AM3/8/22
to Lizbeth Mate, Community Forum, Monica Harris, Bergl, Richard

Hi Lizbeth,

If you click “Clear data” at the bottom of the screen, this will recover all the space. However, this will also delete your configurable model and everything with it.

image001.jpg

Lizbeth Mate

Mar 8, 2022, 1:21:41 PM3/8/22
to jus...@steventon.com, Bergl, Richard, Community Forum, Monica Harris

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your email. Is that something we will have to be doing everytime the storage gets used up or does the build 385 sort out the problem?  It’s already costing us getting the configurable model reinstalled in all the phones with this issue as the person responsible for helping with reinstalling is not based in the field where the scouts operate from.

Best regards,
Lizbeth

Justin Steventon

Mar 8, 2022, 2:36:31 PM3/8/22
to Lizbeth Mate, Bergl, Richard, Community Forum, Monica Harris

Apologies for the inconvenience on this. We did not think that any device would burn through 10GB of data for backups in such a short time, even if capturing photos.

This is not an issue in 385 and above.

image001.jpg

Lizbeth Mate

Mar 8, 2022, 2:44:07 PM3/8/22
to jus...@steventon.com, Bergl, Richard, Community Forum, Monica Harris
Thank you Justin, you’ve been very helpful in helping us figure out what was happening to the phones suddenly. I think we’ll move to build 385 then as that will then sort out the storage issue for us and I hope it also sorts out the sudden location issue as well.

Best regards,
Lizbeth