Hax Festival, early call for presentations, people and date feedback

Mark Jenkins

Jan 25, 2024, 8:51:54 AMJan 25
to Announce
Hey folks,

It's time to co-organize the Hax Festival again. This will be our 5th
edition, continuing a tradition from 2016, 2019, 2022, and 2023.

The Hax Festival is our annual hackerspace celebration that brings
together all of the cool things we do into one weekend.

This year we're going to try out May, a great month for engaging the
post-secondary crowd.

Cranking our engines is a grant application due soon. As such, we
could use the following by 5pm Sunday Jan 28:

1. Feedback on the right weekend to pick. A choice of May 3rd-5th or 17th-19th.
-------

2. An early list of initial folks offering presentations/talks/workshops etc.

We are seeking presentations that are of interest to our broad
hackerspace community. Not only are we not picky, but we're quite
excited to introduce new folks and new topics into our mix.

We mostly schedule these on the festival Saturday morning and
afternoon, though there is always room for a Friday keynote or a chill
Sunday workshop if need be.

Every speaker is offered an honorarium plus evening social tickets.

Presentations may be offered remote or in person in our classroom.
---------

3.
At least one more co-organizer. Our usual folks are:

Co-chair for Saturday social and marketing: Mark Campbell
Co-chair for DJ programming: Colin Erskine
Co-chair for talks: Mark Jenkins
Movie night coordinator and weekend long super-presence: Thor Robinson

I'm calling for someone to join us as festival co-chair for organizing "chill".

Chill consists of things people can take in if they're not taking in
talks and other primary programming and includes:
* exhibits
* board and video gaming
* members working on their projects
* workshops offered outside the classroom
etc

Organized or not, we dedicate the Sunday of our festival entirely to chill.

So in all regards, reach out soon. We're available in #hax on the
Skullspace discord. Replies to this email go to the open skullspace
discuss mailing. To email me privately, it's mark AT parit DOT ca.

Thanks,
Mark Jenkins
Co-chair for talks