Problem compiling corpus on Manatee 2.208

Eros Zanchetta

Sep 19, 2022, 10:38:01 AM9/19/22
to NoSketch Engine
Hi,

I just installed the latest stable release of NoSke on a fresh Ubuntu 20.04 server, I compiled everything from source.

When I try to compile the demo corpus susanne I get this error:

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'manatee'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/bin/corpdatacheck", line 9, in <module>
import manatee
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'manatee'

I should also note that when I installed manatee I saw this warning:

Libraries have been installed in:
   /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages
If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use the '-LLIBDIR'
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
   - add LIBDIR to the 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable during execution
   - add LIBDIR to the 'LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable during linking
   - use the '-Wl,-rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
   - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to '/etc/ld.so.conf'

But I'm not sure this is the problem and, if it is, how to fix it, can anyone help?

Thanks,
Eros

Miloš Jakubíček

Sep 19, 2022, 3:49:43 PM9/19/22
to Eros Zanchetta, NoSketch Engine
Dear Eros,

the ./configure script uses the /usr/local prefix (as is customary on Linux) by default, so the Python bindings are installed in /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages.
If you use a system-installed Python (which is likely), it doesn't look there normally.

You can change the install prefix via ./configure --prefix ... --exec-prefix ... (see ./configure --help), which would however mix your manually installed files with system-installed.
A better way is to add /usr/local into Python search path by using the PYTHONPATH environment variable or using a .pth file, see here:

Best
Milos

Milos Jakubicek

CEO, Lexical Computing
Brno, CZ | Brighton, UK

Eros Zanchetta

Sep 20, 2022, 7:58:45 AM9/20/22
to NoSketch Engine, NoSketch Engine
Thank you Milos! It worked perfectly.

Now I have another problem :D but I'll open a different thread for that.

Cheers,
Eros