Installing NoSketchEngine on CentOS 9 and NoSketchEngine manual. Does it still exist?

Yannis Panagis

Feb 27, 2023, 5:39:36 AM2/27/23
to no...@sketchengine.co.uk
Hi everyone in the list,

I am trying to install NoSketchEgine in CentOS 9 (stream) running in Parallels. I know it is a rather difficult setup but I tried both the rpms and installing throúgh compiling the tar.gz files, with no success so far.

I was therefore, searching here and there but before even trying to install ChatGPT (!!!) hinted me for the NoSketchEngine manual at https://nlp.fi.muni.cz/trac/noske/wiki/UserManual. Apart from the latter the NoSke website has a link to a User Guide at https://nlp.fi.muni.cz/trac/noske/wiki/TracGuide. Both the above lead to pages that no longer exist. Is the manual still available? Could someone post it in the group?

Re the installation, I managed to do some work with the available docker image at https://github.com/ELTE-DH/NoSketch-Engine-Docker but I will probably post you again to the group on installation issues.

Best regards,
Yannis

Miloš Jakubíček

Feb 27, 2023, 8:03:51 AM2/27/23
to Yannis Panagis, no...@sketchengine.co.uk
Dear Yannis,

I suggest relying on the human-provided documentation (https://nlp.fi.muni.cz/trac/noske/wiki) rather than letting ChatGPT pointing you to never-existing websites.
If you share at which step you got stuck (either by using the RPMs or when compiling from sources) someone might be able to help you.

Cheers,
Milos Jakubicek

CEO, Lexical Computing
Brno, CZ | Brighton, UK

Sketch Engine Support

Feb 27, 2023, 9:08:55 AM2/27/23
to Miloš Jakubíček, Yannis Panagis, no...@sketchengine.co.uk
Dear Yannis,

My colleague suggests doing the following steps:
  1. download *.src.rpm at https://nlp.fi.muni.cz/trac/noske
  2. mkdir el9
  3. mock --verbose -r /etc/mock/centos-stream-9-x86_64.cfg  --rebuild ./manatee-open-2.214.1-1.el7.src.rpm  --resultdir el9/
  4. mock --verbose -r /etc/mock/centos-stream-9-x86_64.cfg  --rebuild ./bonito-open-5.58.1-1.el7.src.rpm  --resultdir el9/
  5. mock --verbose -r /etc/mock/centos-stream-9-x86_64.cfg  --rebuild ./gdex-4.12-1.el7.src.rpm --resultdir el9/
  6. mock --verbose -r /etc/mock/centos-stream-9-x86_64.cfg   --enable-network --rebuild ./crystal-open-2.130.1-1.el7.src.rpm  --resultdir el9/
  7. the directory el9/ contains installation packages
Best regards,

Michal Cukr
Sketch Engine team

Yannis Panagis

Feb 28, 2023, 1:16:12 PM2/28/23
to Sketch Engine Support, Miloš Jakubíček, no...@sketchengine.co.uk
Dear all in the forum,

Thank you for your insightful comments. Let me try to answer some of the comments because I still can not really install. One of the issues is that I 'm running Linux versions in Docker containers managed by my University, whereas at least a Docker nosketchengine container can run at a local installation I have.

If you share at which step you got stuck (either by using the RPMs or when compiling from sources) someone might be able to help you.

When compiling, the command ./configure --with-pcre, stops complaining with "configure: error: SWIG is required to build.". I haven't tried to include SWIG yet. Among others, getting SWIG seems a bit chaotic to me. Is there a version preference?

CentOS9:
I could not work with mock. At Debian 8.5 stream that my University provides, when trying to build the rpm with mock I end up with a bunch of errors ending at 'ERROR: Namespace unshare failed.'

CentOS7:
The available rpms demand Python3, right? Which version shall we work with? Are there any limitations? I have the impression that python 3.10.x didn't work but I might be wrong.

It is rather much this time, but I hope at least some of it makes sense and there are solutions to follow.

Thank you for your help

Best,
Yannis Panagis

Miloš Jakubíček

Feb 28, 2023, 2:08:42 PM2/28/23
to Yannis Panagis, Sketch Engine Support, no...@sketchengine.co.uk
Dear Yannis,

1) you do need to install the necessary prerequisites like SWIG, obviously. Checking the contents of configure.ac is generally useful:

# Swig
AX_PKG_SWIG([3.0], [], [ AC_MSG_ERROR([SWIG is required to build.]) ])

Not sure what it means that getting swig is a bit chaotic, but downloading SWIG 3.0 or newer should just do the job.
You can install SWIG from the official repositories or from source tarballs as you find convenient.

2) Python 3.6 or newer is required (Python 3.10 is used in production at the moment)

Best
Milos

Milos Jakubicek

CEO, Lexical Computing
Brno, CZ | Brighton, UK

Yannis Panagis

Mar 1, 2023, 1:52:58 PM3/1/23
to Miloš Jakubíček, Sketch Engine Support, no...@sketchengine.co.uk
Dear all,

Thank you very much Milos for your very prompt response. At the end of the day I could install SWIG by using yum, so that problem is solved.

When configuring manatee, a problem popping up is the following error after running ./configure --with-pcre

configure: error:
  Could not link test program to Python. Maybe the main Python library has been
  installed in some non-standard library path. If so, pass it to configure,
  via the LIBS environment variable.
  Example: ./configure LIBS="-L/usr/non-standard-path/python/lib"
   ERROR!
   You probably have to install the development version of the Python package
   for your distribution.  The exact name of this package varies among them.

I tried adding /configure --with-pcre LIBS="-L/usr/lib/python.39" but still getting the same error. Any suggestions are more than welcome... Thanks once more.

Best
Yannis

Miloš Jakubíček

Mar 1, 2023, 4:28:30 PM3/1/23
to Yannis Panagis, Sketch Engine Support, no...@sketchengine.co.uk
Hi Yannis,

Using yum to install packages is certainly the most preferred solution unless you are looking for something very specific.
Have you installed Python using yum/dnf as well or how did you do that -- why do you think it should be at /usr/lib/python.39?
(Just installing the python-devel package via yum should be enough)

Best
Milos

Yannis Panagis

Mar 1, 2023, 5:56:28 PM3/1/23
to Miloš Jakubíček, Sketch Engine Support, no...@sketchengine.co.uk
Hi Miloš,

Thank you for your reply. I am apparently not very knowledgeable when it comes to those kinds of configurations and especially under Linux... I didn't know about python-devel :(. Python 3.6 was preinstalled and then I added Python 3.9, via apt-get install, apparently not making a big difference...

Another solution I tried however, is to try installing manatee with Ubuntu and it worked! I will continue with configuration under Ubuntu and see what comes up.

Thanks for your help.

Best
Yannis