emulating full capability of freq.py in crystal? (feature request)

H Pirker

Dec 28, 2021, 7:12:40 AM12/28/21
to NoSketch Engine
I was very delighted, when I came along the FREQUENCY->LINE DETAILS option in crystal. It finally seemed to make the capabilities of freqs.py available via the Web-GUI.

In our corpus the contrastive analysis of frequencies of 2 or more words along multiple text types is the most prominent use case (e.g. the distribution of 2 orthographic variants over time and (simultaniously) geographical region)
In the old (pre-crystal) user interface we always had to awkwardly resort to using "freqs.py" in order to come up with the bare numbers for this kind of analysis.

But crystal's LINE DETAILS by now only  provides the counts of unique combinations of text-types, right.
I was not able to find any option to also add TOKEN ATTRIBUTES to the set of context attributes.

I.e. I was not able to mimic freqs.py "contexts" like e.g.: word 0, lemma 0,  pos 0 (or even better:) word 0<0~0>0

Is there any option to integrate this kind of information in LINE DETAILS? I.e. not only use the LINE DETAILS from VIEW OPTIONS, but also add the selection of TOKEN ATTRIBUTES specified there?

Yours hopefully :-)
Hannes

Michal Cukr | Sketch Engine Support

Jan 7, 2022, 10:34:23 AM1/7/22
to no...@sketchengine.co.uk, hpr...@gmail.com
Dear Hannes,

If I understood your requirement correctly, you need to make a frequency list (for a specific concordance) that will also contain the information about a structural attribute of the token (positional attribute), for instance: word + lemma + year + month
is | be | 1995 | April
going | be | 2006 | November

If this is what you are looking for, then you can use the Advanced option of the Frequency tool in the Concordance feature and here you can specify various positional attributes (word, lemma, lempos) as well structural attributes (text types) for the specific position of your concordance.

For a better illustration of what I mean, please find the attached screenshots.

You can also visit this link https://ske.li/n8u referring to the results in the screenshot (it is from an open corpus - no login required).

Best regards,

Michal Cukr

--
Sketch Engine Team
Email: sup...@sketchengine.eu

H Pirker

Jan 10, 2022, 5:19:58 AM1/10/22
to NoSketch Engine, support, H Pirker
Dear Michal,

yes, your hint exactly fulfillls my requirements.
The process of selecting attributes is a bit more awkward than in LINE DETAILS, but that's a minor issue.

Thanks a lot &
cheers

Hannes