compilecorp error: encodevert not in path

Slavomír Čéplö

Jul 17, 2020, 4:47:40 AM7/17/20
to NoSketch Engine
Dear all,

we have put together a dockerized implementation of NoSke based on
CentOS 7. Everything runs more or less smoothly, except for the final
stages which involve the compilation of the corpora and where
compilecorp fails with "encodevert not in PATH" while, of course, PATH
includes encodevert.
First we hacked around this by removing the check in the compilecorp
script, but when we yesterday ran a complete from scratch build, the
solution stopped working and the original compilecorp still complains
about encodevert.
Do you have any ideas what the issue might be?

Thank you,

Slavo

Egon W. Stemle

Jul 17, 2020, 6:44:48 AM7/17/20
to NoSketch Engine, bulbult...@gmail.com
hi slavo,

this sounds like a few things that could have gone wrong - and none can be easily debugged without a look at the docker-file... i think, there might be some people interested in your doker-ized NoSke environment, and making it available (at least the files) would help. i had an earlier NoSke version doker-ized on top of an ubuntu 18.04 LTS, and that worked.

these sort of frustrations, in my case anyway, often turned out to be overlooked cases of RUN commands that only affect their own single environment and are gone by the time the next RUN comes along - if it's not written to disk it won't end up on a docker layer. the differences between ARG, ENV, RUN A=B, etc. all seem understandable, but often turned out to be at the core of my frustrations.

good luck!
best,
egon

David Lukeš

Jul 17, 2020, 3:18:52 PM7/17/20
to Egon W. Stemle, NoSketch Engine, bulbult...@gmail.com

Have you confirmed you can run encodevert when you start an interactive shell inside the container (docker run --entrypoint bash -it <container-name>)? What’s the output of find / -name encodevert -exec ls -l {} \; and of echo $PATH inside the container?

David

Slavomír Čéplö

Jul 20, 2020, 3:38:35 AM7/20/20
to David Lukeš, Egon W. Stemle, NoSketch Engine
Hi David,

1. I have confirmed I can run encodevert inside the shell inside the container.
2. find / -name encodevert -exec ls -l {} \; produces /usr/local/bin/encodevert.
3 echo $PATH produces
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

Just fyi, when I run encodevert -C <corpusname>, the process runs
successfully, but then Crystal starts the usual complaints ("The
requested URL /crystal/undefined was not found on this server."),
which also did not happen before.

Best,

Slavo