links in concordance

Sass Bálint

Oct 18, 2021, 7:22:10 AM10/18/21
to no...@sketchengine.co.uk
Dear All,

We wuold like to connect sound files of corpus sentences
with the corresponding text sentence in the corpus.

1.
Is there any good practice for doing this?

2.
I thought that if we were able to include hyperlinks
(to sound files stored elsewhere)
directly into the concordance somehow,
or into the bibliography window,
that would be a good solution.

Can we do this? How?

Thank you.

Best wishes:
Bálint Sass
research fellow
Research Centre for Linguistics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
http://www.nytud.hu/depts/corpus/Sass_Balint.html

Miloš Jakubíček

Oct 18, 2021, 3:45:39 PM10/18/21
to Sass Bálint, NoSketch Engine
Hi Bálint,

yes, that's all doable and in place -- you can get inspired looking at the BNC spoken part:

It's likely we will extend the media player to video as well in the coming months.

All the best,

Milos Jakubicek

CEO, Lexical Computing
Brno, CZ | Brighton, UK

Sass Bálint

Oct 19, 2021, 11:05:04 AM10/19/21
to NoSketch Engine
Dear Milos,

thank you for your answer. Great news! :)

Two additional questions:

1. How this metadata item is identified as a clickable URL in the metadata window?
Just based on the 'http://' prefix?

2. As I see, it takes two clicks to access the sound file,
one for opening the metadata window, and one for clicking the link next to 's.audio'.
Can this be done perhaps with one click somehow? :)

Thank you:
Bálint

Tomáš Svoboda

Oct 20, 2021, 4:33:25 AM10/20/21
to NoSketch Engine, Bálint Sass
Dear  Bálint,
1) It is not based just on prefix http/https, but we use regular expression to check if the metadata value matches the URL format.

2) You can play media files directly in concordance (see https://youtu.be/C_IfxLMIavY, video is recorded without sound). To make this work you need to set up your corpus properly:
In corpus registry file define structure and attribute containing audio, like this:
STRUCTURE s {
   ATTRIBUTE audio {
     MEDIATYPE "audio"
   }
}
and then in your data you should have structure:
<s audio="somefile.wav>Some sentence in corpus.</s>

Hope it helps.

Best regards!

Tomas