performance issues when querying parallel corpora

Tomáš Machálek

Nov 25, 2020, 5:28:06 AM11/25/20
to NoSketch Engine
Hello,

I have a question regarding querying parallel corpora. There seems to be a huge performance drop when passing a query only to the primary corpus. Once you enter
anything to the second corpus - even quite a general pattern like e.g. [word=".+"] or <s />,
the calculation time shortens  by an order of magnitude. I can understand that it takes  longer time to collect a large result set compared to a smaller one (= a more concrete search pattern). But the examples above are basically "match all" ones and the difference in processing times is enormous.

Is this a known issue and if so, is there a chance to resolve this in the future?

Thank you,

Tomas Machalek
(Institute of the Czech National Corpus)

Miloš Jakubíček

Nov 25, 2020, 12:34:36 PM11/25/20
to Tomáš Machálek, NoSketch Engine
Hi Tomáš,

that's weird -- no idea why this should be happening.
Is the corpus somewhere where we can have a look at it?

Best
Milos

Milos Jakubicek

CEO, Lexical Computing
Brno, CZ | Brighton UK

Tomáš Machálek

Nov 26, 2020, 6:57:54 AM11/26/20
to NoSketch Engine, Miloš Jakubíček, NoSketch Engine, Tomáš Machálek
I've been analysing the problem further and it looks like there were two issues but none of them Manatee-related.
So first of all - sorry for the false alarm.

The thing that confused me was I hadn't noticed that queries produced by NoSkE (and also our KonText) were quite
different depending on whether the second corpus query was filled-in or not.

In the former case, the query is a single item list based on "within other_corp:[...]" pattern. Such a query is run
asynchronously (conclib.py, get_conc function) where the first page is typically delivered in a short time.

In the latter case, the query is a two-item list where the first item is the primary query and the second one is "Xother_corp".
In this case, the async. processing is turned off which means the client must wait until everything is done.

The second problem which confused me further is probably data-related. One of our parallel corpora seems to perform
poorly for its size. But this is most likely our problem and not the Manatee one.

Best regards,
Tomas