2020 Hindsight

webm...@sjgames.com

Jan 4, 2021, 2:16:54 PM1/4/21
to gurps...@sjgames.com

2020 Hindsight

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Treasures 4: Mixed BlessingsThis is the December 2020 update. It's a few days late because I was on vacation on December 31 and I'm just getting around to it now, on my first workday of 2021. There will be a second installment at the end of the month (in about four weeks' time). Hopefully, this year won't be a second installment of 2020 . . .

Recent Releases

December brought with it a single all-new GURPS release.

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Treasures 4: Mixed Blessings (December 22, 2020; PDF)

Dungeon delvers crave loot – but while no true munchkin would turn down such goodies as scrolls, potions, and armor and weapons that grant bigger plusses, most secretly hope to stumble across the rare or even the unique. Such treasures offer bragging rights and, better, powers that aren't as tightly constrained as those of generic items. At the same time, magic systems exist for reasons like "keeping things vaguely predictable" and "curbing abuse," so exceptions to them can give the GM headaches. This collection contains 13 artifacts that finesse the issue by combining positive departures from the rules with negative ones; they're good, but not too good. It also provides brief-but-pithy general advice on crafting one's own "mixed blessings."

Everything Old Is New Again Department

GURPS on Demand kept on rolling through December with GURPS Undead and GURPS Warehouse 23. We also made GURPS Goblins available in PDF form, at long last. Please remember that these are GURPS Third Edition supplements, so some conversion is needed to use them with Fourth Edition.

Upcoming Plans

December was a short work month, what with most of the staff on vacation for half of it, so we didn't get that much done. I'll share what I can, though! Just remember that these are informed guesses, not promises. Especially at the start of a new year, predicting what will actually happen is next to impossible.

  • The Girl Genius Sourcebook and Roleplaying Game remains with the Foglio clan for art.
  • Christopher Rice's GURPS Realm Management is still in production, as is that short David Pulver item I keep hinting at.
  • Phil Reed let the cat out of the bag regarding the three Sekrit Projekts that occupied much of my time in late 2020, first on the forums (where discussion is ongoing) and then on Kickstarter. In short: More Pyramid. Please follow the campaign.
  • Bill Stoddard's GURPS Furries remains in Nikki's editorial inbox.
  • GURPS Hot Spots: Srivijaya, by Randy Huegele, is largely done with playtesting.
  • Next up in the playtest queue are volumes in the GURPS Fantasy Folk series (by Alden Loveshade), the GURPS Infinite Worlds series (by James Amaral & Joshua Lopez), and the GURPS Vehicles series (by Carolyn Stein & Steve Stein) – in that order.
  • Bill Stoddard's latest effort passed editorial review and has been revised, so it should go to peer review shortly.
  • Manuscripts from Rory Fansler (a mystery . . . to you) and Christopher Rice (yet more for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy) are still being revised by their authors in preparation for playtesting.
  • A first draft from Matt Riggsby – sorry, no clues yet – awaits editorial review.

Then there's the stuff that sits so far out that I prefer to wax vague indeed, including a project that's on hold at the author's request and a couple being written by David Pulver. For weekly summaries and progress reports, be sure to check the GURPS thread in my blog every Friday.

Join Us! Join Us!

I continue to hold out hope that by the end of this month, we'll see enough movement at each step in the product pipeline that we can focus more attention on intake. To get a head start on that, consider blocking off time to pore over the Submission Guidelines, GURPS formatting guide, and GURPS WYSIWYG template to learn about what we expect from queries, proposals, and manuscripts. Then click on over to the Warehouse 23 Digital Wish List (updated August 4, 2020) and Warehouse 23 Wish List for GURPS (updated November 3, 2020) to find out what we're looking for. That last bit is especially important: While we're not totally against wild new ideas, they're a hard sell to an overtaxed editorial department.