Leap Into 2024

webm...@sjgames.com

Jan 31, 2024, 12:51:48 PMJan 31
to gurps...@sjgames.com

Leap Into 2024

Dungeon Fantasy: The Devil's WorkshopThat's a goofy joke – and the month with an extra day is yet to come – but 2024 did hit the ground running, as far as GURPS is concerned. Thanks to a newer and evidently better approach to line scheduling (thanks, Allison!), projects have been moving more smoothly than in the past. For instance . . .

Recent Releases

January brought one new GURPS-related item:

Dungeon Fantasy: The Devil's Workshop (January, 2024; PDF)

The mission of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game is to bring GURPS to newcomers by focusing on what's arguably the most popular genre in gaming, paring the system down to just the essentials for that genre, and using a friendlier layout. Another aspect of that is providing more ready-made adventures, which are tricky to create and sell for a generic game that boasts, "Anything You Want. Any World You Can Imagine." They're quite workable for a single-genre game with well-defined assumptions about character abilities and actions, but until now, there have been just two: I Smell a Rat (in the box) and Against the Rat-Men. So, here's a third, which is set above ground, not down a sewer, and doesn't have rats, only The Devil. More than that would be a spoiler.

Upcoming Plans

Perhaps more important, we've made excellent progress on our offerings for the upcoming year. I still feel it wise not to promise publication dates or order, but if we manage to hit our internal milestones for a few more months, I might relent on that. That is, if The Powers That Be sign off on it . . . announcing dates is a question of their permission, not my confidence level!

  • GURPS Template Toolkit: Spirits, by Rory Fansler, is in final production and looking good for February.
  • GURPS Infinite Worlds: Atlantropa, by Joshua Kilburn, is through editing and into production as well.
  • Another Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game adventure that involves neither sewers nor rats is in production, too, but not on our schedule and thus not a priority.
  • GURPS Fantasy Folk: The Reptilian Races, by Phil Masters, left peer review and now awaits an editor.
  • The latest addition to the How to Be a GURPS GM series is also queued for editing.
  • GURPS Meta-Tech, by Christopher Rice, has had a month of playtesting and seems likely to get a few weeks more.
  • GURPS Loadouts: Starship Crew, by Paul Stefko, is next up for playtesting. We're already seeking playtesters.
  • J. Edward Tremlett and Christopher Rice continue to revise the first draft of GURPS Monster Hunters Adventure: The Face of Fire before its playtest.

That leaves 11 Sekrit Projekts that I'm not yet cleared to talk about . . . and a few of these were not among the 11 mentioned in my last roundup (some of which appear above). Should I change my mind on sharing details about these and other things, it will be in the GURPS thread in my blog, updated Fridays.

Join Us! Join Us!

While we're pushing a lot of rules-heavy ("crunchy") content through the pipeline, please understand that much of it has been there for years. Current needs are decidedly more rules-light ("fluffy"). Is writing such material one of your strengths? Are you familiar with our Freelancer FAQ, Submission Guidelines, GURPS formatting guide, and GURPS WYSIWYG template? If so, then pick something from the Warehouse 23 Digital Wish List (updated November 10, 2023) and Warehouse 23 Wish List for GURPS (updated November 10, 2023) and send us a query!