2020 Foresight

webm...@sjgames.com

Jan 6, 2020, 12:30:53 PM1/6/20
to gurps...@sjgames.com

2020 Foresight

Despite the date, this is the December 2019 update. I was on vacation at the end of December, which is why I'm publishing this on my first day back to work in the new year. Don't worry – there will be a second installment at the end of January!

Recent Releases

December came with two new GURPS-related products: Pyramid Dungeon CollectionGURPS Disasters: Hurricane

Pyramid Dungeon Collection (December 5, 2019; PDF/Softback)

Over the years, Pyramid magazine contained a lot of material that would be suitable for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy, much of it long before that series came to be – indeed, before GURPS Fourth Edition. This compendium compiles the highlights and revises them for compatibility with the aforementioned series and edition. As a bonus, many of the articles have been expanded with all-new content from the original authors. Also available in print.

GURPS Disasters: Hurricane (December 19, 2019; PDF)

A raging storm could spice up any ongoing campaign . . . or be the backdrop for an exciting one-off game, just one catastrophe among many in the serial adventures of a disaster-management team, or even the genesis of an extended tale of rebuilding. Whatever your goals, this supplement brings you a torrent of ideas, along with rules for high winds, flooding, and rough seas.

Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game News

December saw us reprint Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2. In addition, we let slip that Dungeon Fantasy Companion 2 is coming in the first half of 2020. Stay tuned!

Upcoming Plans

In keeping with the title of this roundup, here's a look at what's on the horizon. As usual, this is an educated guess rather than a promise. For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere – particularly in the Great White North, where Yours Truly lairs – 'tis the season of nasty weather that can delay shipments and cause power and Internet outages, and of respiratory infections that can hold up writers and editors.

  • The seventh printing of GURPS Basic Set: Characters shipped today (January 6, 2020) and should be available almost at once.
  • GURPS Vehicles: Transports of Fantasy, by Phil Masters, has art and is in final production. Look for that a bit later in January.
  • The final draft of the second GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Setting, by Matt Riggsby, still awaits editing but shouldn't be waiting too much longer.
  • Christopher R. Rice's latest oeuvre, GURPS Realm Management, is in playtesting. The playtest is slated to end in mid January.
  • The next GURPS Hot Spots volume, by Randy Huegele, is still undergoing auctorial revisions.
  • The newest first draft from William H. Stoddard is in the process of being revised by the author as well.

On top of all that, two items are past the first-draft stage but on hold for the moment; another is in house as a first draft and awaiting editorial review; and a further five, including works by David Pulver, Christopher Rice, and Matt Riggsby, are being written. Those who can't wait a month for a full progress report should monitor the GURPS thread in my blog, updated Fridays before noon Central time.

"Everything Old Is New Again" Department

As part of our GURPS PDF archiving initiative, December brought GURPS Best Of Pyramid 1. And for those seeking physical reprints, the month delivered GURPS Horror and GURPS In Nomine via print on demand. All of these are for GURPS Third Edition.

Join Us! Join Us!

We're still rather pressed to get All The Things approved, reviewed, playtested, revised, edited, laid out, illustrated, approved again, and shipped out the door. That means proposals and query letters are often growing moss, although I made an end-of-year push to clear my inbox for 2020. That also means it's a great time to review our Submission Guidelines, the GURPS formatting guide, and the GURPS WYSIWYG template. Then visit the Warehouse 23 Digital Wish List (updated August 2, 2019) and Warehouse 23 Wish List for GURPS (updated August 2, 2019) to get a fix on what we're looking for. Thanks in advance for understanding that unless you've worked with us a lot in the past, we must insist that you don't depart from those lists!