April Showers

webm...@sjgames.com

Apr 30, 2021, 11:06:08 AM4/30/21
to gurps...@sjgames.com

April Showers

How to Be a GURPS GM: Managing ExpectationsMarch winds and April showers bring forth May flowers. We've had winds and showers in earnest around here, so I'm expecting a veritable jungle of flowers. Do you hear me, universe? A jungle! In the meantime, I'll focus on what April brought and May will bring to GURPS.

Recent Releases

April saw one new GURPS-related goodie sprout up.

How to Be a GURPS GM: Managing Expectations (April 22, 2021; PDF)

You choose a game system, you create a campaign and write up the first adventure, and you invite your gaming group to create characters – and within seconds, everybody is arguing. About power and realism levels, about how to interpret some rule, about when to roll the dice and for what, about who's hogging the spotlight with their pet mini-game, . . . you name it. This is at least in part a question of expectations: The game designer has one set, you have another, and each player has theirs. Managing Expectations provides useful guidance on bringing those into line with one another, in general and for GURPS in particular.

Buy Our Stuff!

Beyond Warehouse 23, SJ Games' in-house store, don't overlook SJ Games' storefronts on Amazon – home to GURPS on Demand – and DriveThruRPG. Look for additions to all three catalogues in May!

Upcoming Plans

While I can't promise specifics for May – or for any month, really – I can at least provide hints. Please remember that while these come from an insider, they're based on hopes as much as anything else. And we all know how those have been working out for everyone since this time last year . . .

  • The Girl Genius Sourcebook and Roleplaying Game has seen very recent internal movement that I am not yet at liberty to reveal. I can say that we now have release plans.
  • GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 5, by Yours Truly, is 100% done. You might even see it in May.
  • Those who were at FnordCon 3 (April 10-11) will know that we admitted to another Kickstarter similar to the GURPS 2020 PDF Challenge. That's where the short David Pulver and Matt Riggsby projects I've been mentioning will go. To those, add finished content from me for both GURPS Action and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy.
  • We're expecting two final drafts in May: Randy Huegele's GURPS Hot Spots: Srivijaya and a Bill Stoddard item that's still a secret for the moment.
  • On the other hand, the playtest queue remains stalled because of everything above this entry on the list. In order, we should be playtesting drafts for the GURPS Fantasy Folk series (by Alden Loveshade), the GURPS Infinite Worlds series (by James Amaral & Joshua Lopez), the GURPS Vehicles series (by Carolyn Stein & Steve Stein), and the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Denizens (sub-)series (by Christopher Rice).
  • Rory Fansler is still revising his latest first draft.

There's also material further out (notably eight more titles for the GURPS 2021 PDF Challenge, written by your favorite GURPS writers, and an unrelated two-volume set from David Pulver), on hold, and in planning. To be the first to know about new developments, watch the GURPS thread in my blog, updated every Friday.

Join Us! Join Us!

We are accepting queries and proposals, but I'll be honest: The GURPS 2021 PDF Challenge and major playtesting backlog mean we can't promise fast turnaround times. The smartest approach is to bide your time and perhaps review the Submission Guidelines, GURPS formatting guide, and GURPS WYSIWYG template in depth. At any rate, please don't stray from the Warehouse 23 Digital Wish List (updated February 22, 2021) and Warehouse 23 Wish List for GURPS (updated February 22, 2021), and strongly consider sticking to the less "crunchy" side of things. Thank you!