June Summery

webm...@sjgames.com

Jun 30, 2021, 12:08:12 PM6/30/21
to gurps...@sjgames.com

June Summery

No, that isn't a typo . . . it's June, and where Your Faithful Servant lives, it's definitely summer. The plants, the birds, and the scorching, unshielded fusion reactor in the sky all say so. Yet I almost didn't notice, because we've been busy cooks in the GURPS kitchen (which generates only metaphorical heat, fortunately).

Recent Releases

While June brought no "traditional" publications, a recent bit of news very definitely delivered something for GURPS:

How to Be a GURPS GM: Combat EncountersHow to Be a GURPS GM: Combat Encounters

Fight The Good Fight

Almost all roleplaying games involve combat – sometimes a lot of it. And the GURPS library, starting with the Basic Set, provides plenty of rules for this. An RPG isn't a wargame, though . . . there's far more to a satisfying battle than plunking units on a map and then following the manual.

How to Be a GURPS GM: Combat Encounters offers almost rules-free advice to go with the rules. It opens with pointers on reasons to fight at all, and then moves on to selecting suitable foes, laying out an interesting battlefield, determining what everybody is doing when violence breaks out, adjusting the challenge level on the fly, and picking up the pieces afterward. While the examples come from GURPS, the concepts are portable to any RPG.

Suddenly, ninjas burst through the wall and attack!

To get it, take advantage of the summer sale now! Since it will be asked: If you opt out of getting the PDF this way, it will eventually show up for sale on its own, with a product page here (which doesn't exist at the moment). I cannot give you a date at this time, however.

Everything Old Is New Again Department

There's more big news, this time for GURPS on Demand! We added GURPS All-Star Jam 2004, GURPS Magic Items 3, and GURPS Screampunk to the lineup. But the real announcement is . . . GURPS Conan! Yes, after being out of print for decades, it's back for your reading and gaming pleasure. All of these are for Third Edition, so some adaptation is needed to use them with Fourth Edition.

Upcoming Plans

Many other things have been simmering, too. I cannot specify dates, but I can drop hints. Please remember that while this list is based on insider information, everything on it is still a guess. The more moving pieces we have (and we have a lot of them right now), the less certain we can be that there won't be a jam or collision.

Six further items are even further back in our process, so I would prefer not to offer clues at this time. I might leak information about those, or about anything that hasn't been published yet, in the GURPS thread in my blog, updated every Friday.

Kick(start)in' It!

The GURPS 2021 PDF Challenge is going to happen very shortly, and will be an ultra-fast campaign like the GURPS 2020 PDF Challenge. To avoid missing your chance to get as many as 12 completely new PDFs for as little as $3, please follow the campaign by clicking here. Thank you!

Oh, and while on the topic of Kickstarters, kudos to Gaming Ballistic LLC for their success with Delvers to Grow for the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game. It's in the Backerkit phase now, and Gaming Ballistic already has more in the works – please support them.

Join Us! Join Us!

We continue to accept queries and proposals, with the caveat that, well, everything else in this report has eaten up virtually all of our editorial clock cycles. Cunning writers will hang back and reread the Submission Guidelines, GURPS formatting guide, and GURPS WYSIWYG template . . . because the GURPS 2021 PDF Challenge titles do cover some of what's on the Warehouse 23 Digital Wish List (updated May 3, 2021) and Warehouse 23 Wish List for GURPS (updated May 3, 2021). Once all 12 are revealed, though, that's another story!