Terciles And Tertiles

webm...@sjgames.com

Apr 28, 2022, 11:37:44 AM4/28/22
to gurps...@sjgames.com

Terciles And Tertiles

The end of April marks 1/3 of the year (by month count, you math geeks!). We make a big deal out of quarters, seasons, and such, but not thirds. Now that at least a few of you have looked up a couple of rarely used words, let's see what's going on with GURPS.

Recent Releases

April put a couple more GURPS 2021 PDF Challenge items on Warehouse 23.

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 4: Ring Fort (April 7, 2022; PDF)GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 4: Ring FortGURPS The Green Madonna

Not all interesting encounters in a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy campaign happen in holes in the ground, abandoned temples, and other places far from settled lands. When a civilization isn't your civilization, its settlements can be places of adventure, even conflict. For instance, imagine a fort where delvers might get work bringing the countryside under control . . . or whose forces see the adventurers themselves as a problem to control! This supplement presents a Viking-style fortified town, complete with maps. It's up to the heroes whether they go shopping, sneaking, or (if they're powerful enough) pillaging.

GURPS The Green Madonna (April 21, 2022; PDF)

Many a game features pirates, and this adventure is no different. Except that it is, because it adds spies, the Spanish Inquisition, and alchemical secrets to the mix. Oh, and a flaming dwarf . . . maybe you had to be there. Anyway, if the 17th-century Caribbean appeals to you, pick this up! While you're at it, you might want – though don't absolutely needGURPS Classic: Swashbucklers and GURPS Supporting Cast: Age of Sail Pirate Crew.

Everything Old Is New Again Department

At first glance, it might appear that April was another month without GURPS on Demand or DriveThruRPG re-releases. Yet I assured everybody that wouldn't happen! What's going on? I'm a little early with this update, that's all. Keep an eye on this page and this one.

Upcoming Plans

That's what was, so now for a few words on what will be. As ever, this list is informed speculation. The world is more chaotic than ever, meaning that anything here could change without notice.

  • Good news! The Girl Genius Sourcebook and Roleplaying Game hardback is in house, meaning it will soon be turned loose.
  • All four of GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves (Christopher R. Rice), GURPS Fantasy Folk: Goblins and Hobgoblins (Phil Masters), GURPS Fantasy Folk: Kobolds (Phil Masters's evil twin), and GURPS Vehicles: Biremes and Triremes (Carolyn Stein & Stephen Kenneth Stein) are now in the editorial queue.
  • GURPS Template Toolkit: Spirits, by Rory Fansler, has had its playtest. It is now with Rory to revise into its final draft.
  • We are planning the playtest of GURPS Fantasy Folk: Winged Folk, by Anders Starmark. The call for playtesters is liable to fall in the void between months as far as this newsletter is concerned, so keep your eye on the GURPS forum for that.
  • First drafts of GURPS Infinite Worlds: The Atom Skerry (Matt Wehmeier), GURPS Loadouts: Starship Crew (Paul Stefko), and GURPS Renaissance Venice: Merchants of Venice (Matt Riggsby) have all had editorial reviews and are with their respective authors for revisions prior to playtesting or peer review.

Eight additional projects are in the database but not at points in their journey where I'm free to share details. I cannot promise hints any time soon, but the GURPS thread in my blog – updated Fridays – is where I'm most likely to change my mind about that or announce interim progress on everything else that's in the works.

FnordCon 5

FnordCon 5 is this weekend (April 29 to May 1). It's a live convention, not an online one, but it will have something like a parallel existence on Discord (link expires May 5).

Join Us! Join Us!

Lately, we've made excellent progress when it comes to getting first drafts reviewed, revised, and playtested. We're also doing a good job of getting Kickstarter titles onto Warehouse 23. But editing . . . yeah, we're a bit behind there. So, although we can look at query letters and proposals, we need to be sensible about going any further than that, because the process isn't 100% unstuck. If you want to write, my advice is to watch the Warehouse 23 Digital Wish List (updated February 11, 2022) and Warehouse 23 Wish List for GURPS (updated February 11, 2022); study the Submission Guidelines, GURPS formatting guide, and GURPS WYSIWYG template; and wait for signs that manuscripts are moving from editing to production before inundating our inboxes with ideas.