Pumpkin Season

webm...@sjgames.com

Oct 30, 2020, 11:30:32 AM10/30/20
to gurps...@sjgames.com

Pumpkin Season

Writing this on October 30, I have spooky thoughts on the brain (mmm, braaains!) – though pandemic-related rules where I live forbid trick-or-treating this year, or even lurking in the bushes in zombie makeup. The latter is probably for the best in 2020; somebody might mistake me for an actual zombie. That's a good reason to stay in and play GURPS.

Recent Releases

October came with two new goodies for GURPS. GURPS Combat CardsGURPS Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 2: The Room

GURPS Combat Cards (October 26, 2020; Boxed Cards)

GURPS offers gamers great freedom of choice in combat, and translates their decisions into character tactics that can win or lose the battle. But for greenhorns – and veterans who are pressed to decide quickly – it can be difficult to remember all the possibilities and select the best ones under the circumstances. This deck of 36 color-coded cards concisely explains every combat maneuver in the Basic Set, the most important attack and defense options, and several conditions commonly inflicted by injury. By keeping the cards that describe their characters' current status in front of them, and declaring actions in combat by "playing" others, every player can fight like a master.

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 2: The Room (October 1, 2020; PDF)

Dungeon delvers live to kick down doors, fight monsters, and loot rooms. For this to work, though, the GM has to have a dungeon all mapped out and ready to go. There are times when the players get ahead of the planning, leaving the GM scrambling to figure out what comes next. This special room offers a quick way to stop the gap. Saying more would give away its secrets, but trust us on this: The $3 price tag buys you a lot more than 11 pages' worth of fun!

Everything Old Is New Again Department

So, what did we add to GURPS on Demand since last time? Quite a lot for GURPS Third Edition: GURPS Deadlands, GURPS Deadlands Dime Novel 1: Aces and Eights, GURPS Deadlands Dime Novel 2 – Wanted: Undead or Alive, GURPS Deadlands: Hexes, GURPS Shapeshifters, and GURPS Spirits (shoot, a fella' could run a pretty good Halloween game with all that stuff!). Oh, and we also made GURPS Classic: Grimoire available in PDF.

Upcoming Plans

Now to consult the Ouija board and learn what's coming up. The spirits never provide a publication order, much less firm dates, because Dark Forces are anything but predictable. Here's what I managed to see before things got . . . weird.

  • The preliminary PDF of the Girl Genius Sourcebook and Roleplaying Game is with the Foglio clan to fill the remaining art holes. How cool is that?
  • GURPS Realm Management, by Christopher Rice, and that short item from David Pulver that I keep mentioning both await production.
  • I found time to write something else for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy (hmm . . . that, too, would work for Halloween). It has jumped through all the hoops to land in the production queue as well.
  • Bill Stoddard's GURPS Furries remains queued for editing. Nikki is the editor, but she's super-busy right now.
  • The playtest queue still contains volumes for the GURPS Hot Spots series (by Randy Huegele), for the GURPS Fantasy Folk series (by Alden Loveshade), and the GURPS Infinite Worlds series (by James Amaral & Joshua Lopez). We have not yet posted calls for playtesters.
  • First drafts from Rory Fansler (no clues yet), Christopher Rice (for the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy series), and Carolyn Stein & Steve Stein (for the GURPS Vehicles series) are all with their authors for revisions from first draft to second (playtest) draft.
  • The short first draft from Matt Riggsby continues to await review.

On top of all that, one project is on hold at the author's request, while six more are being written (including two by David Pulver, one by Bill Stoddard, and three Sekrit Projekts). To keep track of what we're owning up to – and to glean additional clues about the rest – follow the GURPS thread in my blog, updated Fridays.

Join Us! Join Us!

Working on our various Sekrit Projekts while keeping all the not-secret-at-all jobs moving has at times proved a real challenge – especially with the added wrinkle of a global pandemic. I must continue to advise would-be writers to use what remains of 2020 not to work on proposals, but rather to focus on learning the Submission Guidelines, GURPS formatting guide, and GURPS WYSIWYG template, and on analyzing the Warehouse 23 Digital Wish List (updated August 4, 2020) and Warehouse 23 Wish List for GURPS (updated August 4, 2020) for ideas that appeal to both them and us. That way, everybody will be able to move quickly when the dam breaks! Thank you for understanding.