Dog Days

webm...@sjgames.com

Jul 31, 2019, 12:47:10 PM7/31/19
to gurps...@sjgames.com

Dog Days

GURPS Monster Hunters Power-Ups 1No, I'm Sirius! It's hot here at Dr. Kromm's Secret Lab. But it's time for a roundup nonetheless, so while my colleagues are off to Gen Con and so forth, let me enlighten you on the latest developments for GURPS.

Recent Releases

One new GURPS-related product went live:

GURPS Monster Hunters Power-Ups 1 (July 18, 2019; PDF)

While the champions of GURPS Monster Hunters are powerful, The Enemy is all too often more powerful. To prevail, the heroes sometimes need bigger guns – perhaps literally, but just as often meaning swords, specialized supernatural countermeasures, or snazzier abilities. This supplement offers a wealth of new capabilities for hunters without powers, who are typically the ones wielding or even inventing those weapons I mentioned. As a bonus, it includes a system that lets techies bash together exactly the gear the team needs, when they need it. As I said: big guns!

Breaking News: More For The Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

We just announced the next book for the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game! Specifically, we revealed the existence of Dungeon Fantasy Magic Items 2, which goes to Kickstarter in September. Those of you lucky enough to be at Gen Con can even see the mockup at the Steve Jackson Games booth (#1401).

Upcoming Plans

So what are we working on for GURPS? Lots of stuff, much of it behind the scenes. As always, I'm willing to offer a peek backstage. Please remember that nothing here is set in stone – interruptions (like summer cons) happen, and of course we're only human.

  • GURPS Template Toolkit 2: Races, by Bill Stoddard, has jumped through all the hoops necessary to get on the schedule for Real Soon Now.
  • The print version of Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 is in transit, and our goal is to deliver that in September, as hinted at here.
  • For those who missed the announcement, an errata-fixed reprint of GURPS Basic Set: Campaigns is also slated to arrive in September.
  • The Pyramid Dungeon Collection is a little further out (mostly to avoid clashing with all of the above), but definitely ready for an autumn release.
  • GURPS Social Engineering: Keeping in Contact, by Kelly Pedersen, has moved into editing.
  • GURPS Sorcery: Sound Spells, by Aleksei Isachenko and Garrett Norman, is now in preliminary PDF form and undergoing review. (Yes, that's unusual . . . we're experimenting.)
  • The final draft of GURPS High-Tech: Electricity and Electronics, by Bill Stoddard, is in house and queued for editing.
  • The next GURPS Disasters volume, by James Howard, is through playtesting and with the author to create the final draft.
  • The first draft of another item in the GURPS Vehicles series, by Phil Masters, has been reviewed and is in the playtest queue.
  • The first draft of the latest for GURPS Hot Spots, by Randy Huegele, has arrived and awaits editorial review.

In addition to that list, five projects are past the first-draft stage but not at a point where it would be wise to name titles (that includes the long manuscript I keep teasing about), and seven more are in the design phase (one of which we contracted in July). Your best bet for leaks about these and other nameless plots is the GURPS thread in my blog, updated before noon Central time every Friday.

GURPS PDF Archiving Initiative

We continue to digitize older editions and printings of GURPS publications that have never been offered in PDF form. July's conversions were Floor Plan 4 – Mall of the Dead and GURPS Classic: Supers (a two-PDF bundle of a couple of different printings).

Join Us! Join Us!

We're hardly short of work around here (au contraire), but there's always the future to think of. So you think you can write? We'd ask you to become familiar with our Submission Guidelines, the GURPS formatting guide, and the GURPS WYSIWYG template first. Next, pore over the Warehouse 23 Digital Wish List (updated November 30, 2018) and Warehouse 23 Wish List for GURPS (updated November 30, 2018), and pick something that matches your interests as well as ours. Please be aware that unless you're a long-established GURPS writer, we have to insist on that last part – we cannot accept proposals for things we haven't solicited. Thanks for understanding!