This Goes To 29

webm...@sjgames.com

Feb 27, 2020, 12:41:40 PM2/27/20
to gurps...@sjgames.com

This Goes To 29

Channeling Mr. Tufnel, because all the good leap-year jokes have already been made. At any rate, it's the end of February already, not that people where I live are going to miss it – that's enough ice and snow and cold, thanks! But like the postal service, neither snow nor rain will slow us down (much).

Recent ReleasesGURPS Dungeon Fantasy Setting: Cold Shard Mountains

February saw one new addition to the GURPS library:

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Setting: Cold Shard Mountains (February 20, 2020; PDF)

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy is generic "kitchen sink" fantasy filled with vague references to "the King," "town," "the Steamy South," "the Merchants' Guild," and so on. You can use it with any fantasy background that supports hack 'n' slash tropes. Not all gamers have the time to create or adapt worlds, however – and for them, there's GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Settings. The second volume in that sub-series, Cold Shard Mountains offers a rocky region with a long history, plenty of danger, and more than a few mysteries. It's big and complex enough to serve as the setting for an entire campaign. Even better, it's perfectly suited to megadungeons and hex crawls, and comes with guidelines for both.

"Everything Old Is New Again" Department

The GURPS PDF archiving initiative continued this month, bringing GURPS Autoduel: Car Warriors into the digital fold. We also reprinted GURPS Alternate Earths 2 for print on demand (actually at the very end of January, but after my previous report). Both are for GURPS Third Edition, not GURPS Fourth Edition.

Upcoming Plans

That brings us to the Ministry of Rumors, Leaks, and Hearsay. As ever, I can guarantee only that everything here will be published eventually. I cannot promise firm dates or even a publication order . . . technical snags and sick days happen, especially during the winter months.

  • Dungeon Fantasy Companion 2 looks to be on target for delivery to backers.
  • I continue to edit the Girl Genius Sourcebook and Roleplaying Game, and I'm likely to be saying that for a couple of months to come.
  • Christopher R. Rice's GURPS Realm Management is in its final two weeks of playtesting, and we've set a final-draft deadline.
  • William H. Stoddard's most recent manuscript is now revised and queued for playtesting.
  • The first draft of the latest GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure, by Matt Riggsby, continues to await editorial review.
  • Ditto the first draft of the newest contribution to the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Denizens sub-series, by Christopher R. Rice.
  • Ditto the next installment of the GURPS Hot Spots series, by Randy Huegele.
  • And ditto a setting for GURPS Infinite Worlds, by James Amaral and Joshua Lopez.

Further out, one item is past the first-draft stage but on hold, while six others – including one by Peter Dell'Orto, two by David Pulver, and one by Matt Riggsby – are in the process of being written. To learn what's happening each week with these and other projects, watch the GURPS thread in my blog, updated Fridays before noon Central time.

The Path of Cunning

Many lament the passing of Pyramid, but GURPS fans are loyal and their 'zine game is strong. I'd like to use my soapbox to point everyone to an excellent example of this: The Path of Cunning. Issue #2 came out in February, and to be entirely self-interested, it includes my Designer's Notes for GURPS Power-Ups 9: Alternate Attributes.

Join Us! Join Us!

Our editorial review and playtesting queues are rather long right now, with the unfortunate consequence that we simply cannot prioritize dealing with proposals and query letters. Would-be writers might want to use that pause wisely – namely, to read our Submission Guidelines, the GURPS formatting guide, and the GURPS WYSIWYG template. Then pore over the Warehouse 23 Digital Wish List (updated August 2, 2019) and Warehouse 23 Wish List for GURPS (updated August 2, 2019) to learn what we hope to see once the dam breaks. In the interest of sidestepping avoidable delays, please stick to titles on the lists. Thank you!