And The Heat Goes On

webm...@sjgames.com

Jul 31, 2023, 2:33:37 PM7/31/23
to gurps...@sjgames.com

And The Heat Goes On

GURPS Fantasy Folk: KoboldsThe summer continues to be weird. For those not in the know – about where your faithful GURPS Line Editor lives or the usual state of affairs there – the recent forest fires were extinguished by vast amounts of rain, which came with tornadoes. Needless to say, none of this is exactly normal. Since we had no takers on GURPS Disasters: Forest Fire, maybe Tornado would be more interesting? Meanwhile . . .

Recent Releases

In addition to natural chaos, one new GURPS supplement blew in with July:

GURPS Fantasy Folk: Kobolds (July 27, 2023; PDF)

Kobolds seem to get the short end of the stick. That's a joke. Not entirely, though . . . gamers tend to treat kobolds as little more than fodder monsters to be slain in bulk lots. That take is offered here, but so are others, including the traditional folkloric version and the (nominally) playable race found on Yrth – that is, in GURPS Banestorm. Unlike Elves and Goblins and Hobgoblins, this volume doesn't have a lot of culture to talk about, so it's, er, shorter. You still get all the traits, templates, gear, and so forth you've come to expect in this series.

Upcoming Plans

Which brings us to the hints. I'll preface this list with my customary caution: We cannot guarantee titles, dates, or even a general publication order. Things can get twistered by unforeseeable events, both natural and human.

  • GURPS Fantasy Folk: Winged Folk, by Anders Starmark, is through production and its production review, and should be out this summer.
  • GURPS Tactical Shooting: Extreme Conditions, by Hans-Christian Vortisch, is in production and looking good for the autumn.
  • GURPS Infinite Worlds: Worlds of Atomic Horror, by Matt Wehmeier, has moved into editing.
  • GURPS Template Toolkit: Spirits, by Rory Fansler, is now at the top of the editorial queue.
  • GURPS Loadouts: Starship Crew remains with Paul Stefko for revision.

Over at the Department of Sekrit Projekts, one final draft is in editing, two items are at the first-draft stage, five are being written, and five are more-or-less at the concept stage. For the curious, I recently explained – right herewhy I refuse to name certain projects. On the other hand, sometimes I tip my hand in the GURPS thread in my blog, updated on Fridays when my comms and electricity connections aren't headed to Oz.

Join Us! Join Us!

Would-be freelancers might want to note this new FAQ (hosted by y.t. until our webmaster gets around to sticking it on sjgames.com). It's probably as important as our Submission Guidelines, GURPS formatting guide, and GURPS WYSIWYG template – and the Warehouse 23 Digital Wish List (updated November 3, 2022) and Warehouse 23 Wish List for GURPS (updated November 3, 2022). As usual lately, please be aware that we prefer rules-light ("fluffy") over rules-heavy ("crunchy") at this time.