Happy Thanksgiving!

webm...@sjgames.com

Nov 28, 2019, 2:38:32 PM11/28/19
to gurps...@sjgames.com

Happy Thanksgiving!

Being Canadian, I usually wish people a happy Thanksgiving in October, but this roundup falls on the American holiday, so hey. Besides, SJ Games is in Texas, and the last I heard, Texas was still part of the United States. (There's my political controversy for the year! Tune in for more sometime in late 2020.) But what GURPS stuff are we giving thanks for?

Recent Releases

GURPS Power-Ups 9: Alternate AttributesNovember saw the publication of one new GURPS title:

GURPS Power-Ups 9: Alternate Attributes (November 21, 2019; PDF)

GURPS is famously a toolkit; indeed, many gamers have opined that it's a system for creating a game rather than a game in its own right. By deciding which supplements your campaign will draw on – and within those, which traits and optional rules you'll use – you can make it work for almost any setting, genre, or style of play. Yet a few elements are so fundamental that they'll always be there unless you delve deep into house-rules territory; e.g., using six-sided dice, building characters on points, and rolling low for success. Attributes are one of those cornerstones. Alternate Attributes aims to help you get the gaming experience you want by renaming, repricing, rescaling, subdividing, adding, and subtracting basic attributes and secondary characteristics; recalculating the latter from the former; and then adjusting other traits, point budget, and behavior in play to accommodate your tinkering.

Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game News

November also brought reprints of two of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game core books: Dungeon Fantasy Adventurers and Dungeon Fantasy Spells. Just the thing for groups that want extra copies so that several players at once can create delvers or look up abilities!

Upcoming Plans

I suspect that most visitors to this page come not to read about the past but for hints as to what the future might bring. I am your servant, so here are my best guesses as an insider. As ever, I must preface these with a reminder that the unexpected can throw a wrench into our efforts, causing projects to go on hold, change order, or (rarely!) disappear mysteriously.

  • The Pyramid Dungeon Collection is still slated for December 2019. Patience!
  • GURPS Disasters: Hurricane, by James P. Howard, II, has art and has passed its production review. Look for that in December, too.
  • The seventh printing of GURPS Basic Set: Characters is in transit, and on schedule for the promised January 6, 2020 release.
  • GURPS Vehicles: Transports of Fantasy, by Phil Masters, is in production and has an ETA sometime in January as well.
  • The final draft of the second GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Setting, by Matt Riggsby, is in house and awaiting editing.
  • Christopher R. Rice's latest manuscript awaits playtesting. Look for a call for playtesters in December.
  • The next GURPS Hot Spots volume, by Randy Huegele, remains with the author for revisions.

In addition, one item (by Yours Truly) is in production but Top Secret; three more are past the first-draft stage but paused for various (good) reasons; two others are in house as first drafts, awaiting editorial review; and a further four, including works by David Pulver and Christopher Rice, are in the process of being written. If you're itching to know about those or anything else I've mentioned, keep an eye on the GURPS thread in my blog, which I update every Friday before noon Central time.

GURPS PDF Archiving Initiative

For the collectors out there, we continue to labor away on the GURPS back catalogue, converting old products never before available in digital form to PDF. November's upload was the GURPS GM's Screen for GURPS Third Edition.

Join Us! Join Us!

"Patience," "in production," "awaiting editing," "awaits playtesting," "paused," "awaiting editorial review" . . . as you can see, we're a little slammed right now. Proposals and even query letters are likely to sit in our inboxes for longer than usual. If you're thinking of writing for us, why not use the Thanksgiving-to-New Year stretch to get acquainted with our Submission Guidelines, the GURPS formatting guide, and the GURPS WYSIWYG template? Once you're a pro at that, check out the Warehouse 23 Digital Wish List (updated August 2, 2019) and Warehouse 23 Wish List for GURPS (updated August 2, 2019) to learn our needs. Especially right now, with all we have going on, we must insist that you stick to those lists. Thank you for understanding!