Come What May

webm...@sjgames.com

May 31, 2021, 11:10:37 AM5/31/21
to gurps...@sjgames.com

Come What May

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 5: DemonsAnd go what May. Right, that makes little sense, but May is over and I needed something more interesting than "May Update" for a title. Nobody is here for lessons on creative workarounds for writer's block, though, so let's review what happened in the world of GURPS over the past month.

Recent Releases

May conjured up one new resource for GURPS.

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 5: Demons (May 20, 2021; PDF)

Demons are the perfect monsters for Dungeon Fantasy. They can show up anywhere there's an unwise, powerful, or powerful-but-unwise magic-wielder (hardly a stretch on most adventures), a cursed artifact or altar, or a gate to Hell. They can survive, even thrive locked in a dungeon for years, centuries, millennia, or longer. And nobody is going to hesitate to fight them because it's against their principles – even the dreaded "evil adventurer" is more likely to get rid of potential competition than to make friends. This handy guidebook shows you how to create demons of all types for all occasions.

Everything Old Is New Again Department

GURPS on Demand picked up the pace again, delivering GURPS Magic Items 1 and GURPS Magic Items 2 – both for Third Edition but easily adapted to Fourth Edition.

Upcoming Plans

As usual, providing an actual publication schedule is beyond my power. What I can do, though, is offer hints. Please don't forget that these are the educated guesses of an insider – not promises. While life is slowly returning to normal after more than a year of panic, we're far from being able to guarantee anything!

  • The Girl Genius Sourcebook and Roleplaying Game remains in the final stages of preparation.
  • Progress on the GURPS 2021 PDF Challenge has been excellent! We currently have six of 12 items so close to done we that could release them if we had to, two more in production, and one in editing. The last three first drafts are due today (May 31, 2021).
  • A "backup" title for the PDF Challenge – by Yours Truly, for the How to Be a GURPS GM series – is also in final production, and likely to show up sooner than the 12 supplements I just mentioned if all goes well.
  • Randy Huegele's GURPS Hot Spots: Sriwijaya and Bill Stoddard's most recent work both arrived in house and went into editing.
  • The playtest of GURPS Fantasy Folk: Elves, by Alden Loveshade, is now in full swing.
  • Still in the playtest queue are, in order, volumes in the GURPS Infinite Worlds series (by James Amaral & Joshua Lopez), the GURPS Vehicles series (by Carolyn Stein & Steve Stein), and the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Denizens (sub-)series (by Christopher Rice).
  • Rory Fansler continues to revise his latest first draft.

Seven more projects are at various stages in the creative process but too far out for detailed clues. To keep an eye on those and everything mentioned above, follow the GURPS thread in my blog, updated Fridays.

Join Us! Join Us!

We continue to accept queries and proposals, with the caveat that a full pipeline (including the entire GURPS 2021 PDF Challenge) almost ensures that we'll move slowly on those. I strongly advise would-be writers to prioritize absorbing the Submission Guidelines, GURPS formatting guide, and GURPS WYSIWYG template. Then check out the recently revised Warehouse 23 Digital Wish List (updated May 3, 2021) and Warehouse 23 Wish List for GURPS (updated May 3, 2021) to discover what we're looking for. Thanks in advance!