J-J-January

webm...@sjgames.com

Jan 30, 2020, 11:19:45 AM1/30/20
to gurps...@sjgames.com

J-J-January

That's the sound of teeth chattering – your faithful agent here lives in the Great White North, where January is among the coldest of months. No matter! There's always gaming to keep us warm. (And as promised a few weeks back, this is the second installment in the same month; the previous one covered December, but was a week late due to holidays.)

Recent ReleasesGURPS Vehicles: Transports of Fantasy

January brought with it a single new GURPS-related product:

GURPS Vehicles: Transports of Fantasy (January 23, 2020; PDF)

There's a tendency to assume that fantasy games don't need vehicles. And in some play styles, that's true – transportation is a question of "How do we get to the dungeon?", typically answered by either "on horseback" or "on foot." Yet fantasy also encompasses nautical adventures involving pirates and sea monsters, missions to escort merchant wagons and royal coaches, and wars where siege engines have to be rolled to the enemy's gates. Then there are the truly fantastic rides, such as flying ships and anachronistic dwarven steam-engines. But even adventurers who just raid dungeons might want a cart to haul treasure back to town. Transports of Fantasy is where to find all of this and much more.

Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game News

The Dungeon Fantasy Companion 2 Kickstarter opened and closed this month. It drew more than twice the funding needed to bring it to life, so it's a go! I cannot name a date, but I can confirm that everything is ready for the next step.

Upcoming Plans

Now for the part most of you come here for: a glimpse behind the curtain! I'll preface this with my customary caution that while I can deliver the informed guesses of an insider, I cannot offer guarantees regarding publication dates or even the general order of things on the schedule. I've had two colds and a power outage this month, and I'm just one link in the chain; stuff like that can introduce surprise delays.

  • I am editing the Girl Genius Sourcebook and Roleplaying Game. That's a lengthy commitment, so it's liable to sit on this list for a few more months.
  • Largely because of the previous item, the final draft of a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Setting from Matt Riggsby awaits editing.
  • We extended playtesting of Christopher R. Rice's GURPS Realm Management into February.
  • The next GURPS Hot Spots volume, by Randy Huegele, remains with the author for revisions.
  • The most recent first draft from William H. Stoddard is still being revised by the author as well.
  • The first draft of another GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure by Matt Riggsby arrived and is in line for editorial review.
  • The first draft of the latest for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Denizens, by Christopher R. Rice, also showed up; it, too, is waiting for editorial review.
  • The first draft of a setting for the GURPS Infinite Worlds series is queued for editorial review as well.

In addition, one manuscript is past the first-draft stage but on hold, and a further three – including a couple by David Pulver – are being written. For week-to-week progress reports, keep an eye on the GURPS thread in my blog, updated Fridays before noon Central time.

"Everything Old Is New Again" Department

The GURPS PDF archiving initiative made progress in January, adding GURPS Supporting Cast to the digital library. As for print on demand, we reprinted GURPS Alternate Earths. Those two are for GURPS Third Edition. For Fourth Edition, the seventh printing of GURPS Basic Set: Characters is now available.

Join Us! Join Us!

We have many projects queued for editorial review and editing. So it goes . . . we're a small number of people wearing a large number of hats. When this happens, responses to proposals and query letters tend to be slow to come. Thus, now would be a good time to read our Submission Guidelines, the GURPS formatting guide, and the GURPS WYSIWYG template, and then peruse the Warehouse 23 Digital Wish List (updated August 2, 2019) and Warehouse 23 Wish List for GURPS (updated August 2, 2019) to learn what we'll be looking for in upcoming months. As our resources are limited, we're going to be strict about insisting that you stick to those lists – thanks for understanding!