Hand Data

Harald Scheirich

Oct 16, 2014, 12:00:02 PM10/16/14
to openSurgSim
As we are implementing the nimble device and the skeleton representation, which will be foremost geared towards dealing with hands in OSS. I think there is a little bit of abstraction that we can introduce.

Looking at the nimble device I think here is the point where the pure datagroup approach falls apart, a little bit on the device side, but definitely on the consumer side, this more or less random set of names, and numbers (the numbers for the positions in the array that you will be putting the data again) has no cohesion, no extra information and will be hard to handle. This was visible in the visualization merge request.

I was proposing to create a data class that abstracts and handles the numerical and anatomical information that we are dealing with here, we can still transport the information as it currently is as numbers in a datagroup, but we could use the abstracted hand to access and collect the data group data. And them make it useable in a way that makes sense. This puts all the names and the numbers in a place together that is not a device but can be used by the device and the simulation to deal with the state of the hand in an organized manner.

Harry

--
Harald Scheirich
Principal Software Engineer