Dual Phantom Omni

5 views
Skip to first unread message

Ricardo Ortiz

unread,
Apr 10, 2015, 1:05:08 PM4/10/15
to opens...@simquest.com
Hello folks,

I am working on a simulation with two virtual tools using two Phantom Omni haptic devices. Using your stapling simulator as a starting point, I was able to enable the devices but encountered the following issue:

1. Linear velocities are way too large, making it hard to control the virtual tools.

I noticed that device positions are updated and converted to mm (from meters) in  PhantomScaffold::updateDevice but the linearVelocity is not converted. Indeed, after scaling the linearVelocity the movements of the virtual tool seem more reasonable.
Has anyone encountered this problem?

I also noticed that the virtual tool automatically returns to the center of the screen after "large" displacements.
Is is there a way to tune this behaviour?

Thank you,

/Ricardo

Paul Novotny

unread,
Apr 10, 2015, 2:03:48 PM4/10/15
to Ricardo Ortiz, opens...@simquest.com
On Fri, 2015-04-10 at 13:05 -0400, Ricardo Ortiz wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I am working on a simulation with two virtual tools using two Phantom Omni
> haptic devices. Using your stapling simulator as a starting point, I was
> able to enable the devices but encountered the following issue:
>
> 1. Linear velocities are way too large, making it hard to control the
> virtual tools.
>
> I noticed that device positions are updated and converted to mm (from
> meters) in PhantomScaffold::updateDevice but the linearVelocity is not
> converted. Indeed, after scaling the linearVelocity the movements of the
> virtual tool seem more reasonable.
> Has anyone encountered this problem?

Good catch! I think we did encounter this issue recently, but didn't
investigate it yet. It sounds very likely what you found is the culprit.
Could you submit a git patch (through github, assembla, or email)?

> I also noticed that the virtual tool automatically returns to the center of
> the screen after "large" displacements.
> Is is there a way to tune this behaviour?

When you mean "large" displacement, do you mean the tool went unstable,
and could possibly have caused an invalid position? During the physics
update if the state of the tool becomes invalid, we set it inactive.
Does the tool still respond to input after it is re-centered?

Thanks,
-Paul

Ricardo Ortiz

unread,
Apr 10, 2015, 2:15:09 PM4/10/15
to Paul Novotny, opens...@simquest.com
Paul -

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 2:03 PM, Paul Novotny <pnov...@simquest.com> wrote:
On Fri, 2015-04-10 at 13:05 -0400, Ricardo Ortiz wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I am working on a simulation with two virtual tools using two Phantom Omni
> haptic devices. Using your stapling simulator as a starting point, I was
> able to enable the devices but encountered the following issue:
>
> 1. Linear velocities are way too large, making it hard to control the
> virtual tools.
>
> I noticed that device positions are updated and converted to mm (from
> meters) in  PhantomScaffold::updateDevice but the linearVelocity is not
> converted. Indeed, after scaling the linearVelocity the movements of the
> virtual tool seem more reasonable.
> Has anyone encountered this problem?

Good catch! I think we did encounter this issue recently, but didn't
investigate it yet. It sounds very likely what you found is the culprit.
Could you submit a git patch (through github, assembla, or email)?

Will do.
 

> I also noticed that the virtual tool automatically returns to the center of
> the screen after "large" displacements.
> Is is there a way to tune this behaviour?

When you mean "large" displacement, do you mean the tool went unstable,
and could possibly have caused an invalid position? During the physics
update if the state of the tool becomes invalid, we set it inactive.
Does the tool still respond to input after it is re-centered?

Due do the large velocities, the tool would go out of screen but if you keep the Omni from moving, then the virtual tool would re-center itself.
The virtual tool still responds to input after this.

Thanks,

/Ricardo

 

Thanks,
-Paul

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "openSurgSim" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to opensurgsim...@simquest.com.
To post to this group, send email to opens...@simquest.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/a/simquest.com/group/opensurgsim/.

Paul Novotny

unread,
Apr 10, 2015, 4:03:41 PM4/10/15
to Ricardo Ortiz, opens...@simquest.com
On Fri, Apr 10, 2015, at 02:15 PM, Ricardo Ortiz wrote:

> I also noticed that the virtual tool automatically returns to the center of
> the screen after "large" displacements.
> Is is there a way to tune this behaviour?

When you mean "large" displacement, do you mean the tool went unstable,
and could possibly have caused an invalid position? During the physics
update if the state of the tool becomes invalid, we set it inactive.
Does the tool still respond to input after it is re-centered?
 
Due do the large velocities, the tool would go out of screen but if you keep the Omni from moving, then the virtual tool would re-center itself.
The virtual tool still responds to input after this.
 
Just to clarify, does this happen with the Omni velocity bug, without, or always.
 
-Paul

Ricardo Ortiz

unread,
Apr 10, 2015, 4:10:08 PM4/10/15
to Paul Novotny, opens...@simquest.com

This actually happens always.

/Ricardo

Sent from phone, please excuse terseness and typos.

--

Paul Novotny

unread,
Apr 13, 2015, 10:52:01 AM4/13/15
to Ricardo Ortiz, opens...@simquest.com
Do you have time today to do a screen share? This is probably the best
way for me to understand what you are seeing. How about 3:30 today?

If you have a recent version of Chrome, appear.in works well for screen
share:

https://appear.in/opensurgsim

Otherwise, Skype, Google Hangout or whatever you prefer.

-Paul

Ricardo Ortiz

unread,
Apr 13, 2015, 11:23:18 AM4/13/15
to Paul Novotny, opens...@simquest.com
Paul -

Today is not good for me.
How about tomorrow Tuesday afternoon?

Thanks,

/Ricardo

Paul Novotny

unread,
Apr 13, 2015, 12:25:11 PM4/13/15
to Ricardo Ortiz, opens...@simquest.com
Tuesday is fine. 3:30 again?
-Paul
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages