Stapling Example with 3Dconnexion SpaceExplorer

Ricardo Ortiz

Oct 6, 2014, 2:39:07 PM10/6/14
to opens...@simquest.com
Hello Folks,

I am having problems running the stapling example with the SpaceExplorer.
The application runs but I get the following error when built with BUILD_DEVICE_MULTIAXIS:

"RawMultiAxis device SEVERE   RawMultiAxis: Failed to find any multi-axis controllers.  Is one plugged in?  Are the permissions correct?"

I have the device plugged in and it works with the xcube demo. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

/Ricardo

Ricardo Ortiz

Oct 6, 2014, 2:48:58 PM10/6/14
to opens...@simquest.com
Forgot to mention that I am building it on Linux (OpenSuse 13.1).

Thanks,

/Ricardo

Paul Novotny

Oct 6, 2014, 3:25:13 PM10/6/14
to Ricardo Ortiz, opens...@simquest.com
It might be you don't have permissions for the device. Although the fact
that you got a demo program to work, suggests it might not be the case.
But, I still think it is worth trying first. In the MultiAxis doxygen
docs [1] (not easy to find at the moment, sorry), it describes how to
install udev rules [2] to automatically grant permission when you plug
in the device.

Be sure to check that udev rules are stored in /etc/udev/rules.d/ on
OpenSuse. This is where they are located on Debian/Ubuntu.

Hope this helps,
-Paul

[1]
https://www.assembla.com/code/OpenSurgSim/git/nodes/v0.6.0/SurgSim/Devices/MultiAxis/MultiAxis.dox
[2]
https://www.assembla.com/code/OpenSurgSim/git/nodes/v0.6.0/SurgSim/Devices/MultiAxis/udev-rules/90-3dconnexion.rules

Albert Dvornik

Oct 7, 2014, 8:30:11 AM10/7/14
to Paul Novotny, Ricardo Ortiz, opens...@simquest.com
Ricardo,

If you are on Linux, then in addition to Paul's suggestion it may also be worth checking if the path OpenSurgSim is trying to open matches the udev paths/symlinks present on your machine/distro.  On Linux, running the example app under strace should help determine this.

Also, is it possible that another app (such as the xcube demo =) or spacenavd) already has the device open?  If you don't see any obvious app that it may be worth checking with lsof.  (On Windows, you should be able to check if a device is open with ProcessExplorer, but if I recall right multiple apps can access the same 3DConnexion device simultaneously.)

--bert

--bert

Ricardo Ortiz

Oct 7, 2014, 9:26:40 AM10/7/14
to Albert Dvornik, Paul Novotny, opens...@simquest.com
Paul and Bert -

Thank you for the feedback.
Adding the rules seems to help but the real problems was that I was loading the driver (/etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -d usb) and for some reason this, as Bert pointed out, was locking the device to other applications.

The demo looks and feels great! Congrats!

/Ricardo